xxxii.

t h i r t y t w o

I peeled my eyes open slowly, feeling warm air brush against my face steadily. Laying on his stomach and breathing in my face was my baby causing me to smile at the sight. I'm so happy he slept the whole night, he must've been really tired or something. I got up and put the rest pillows around him, just in case. I went into the bathroom, leaving the door open, then brushed my teeth before going downstairs and made some milk for Colt.

Thoughts just randomly flooded my mind, everything that happened during the past month. It was nice at first, then it was okay with all reporters on me like stalkers, and then there was the letters. Okay, I don't know why I got angry at him for doing the test but don't you need a guardian's permission to do this? I didn't sign it and the only time Jacob was alone with Colton was when I had to go to court with Chris. So it couldn't be either of us. I found myself frowning as I leaned against the island, "Men just make my head hurt." I massaged my temples before taking the, now, warm bottle of milk with me upstairs.

Colton's bound to be hungry right now so I picked him up before sitting down and leaning against the head board, a pillow behind my back. I turned on the TV with the remote that was on the bedside table before settling on some reality TV show. I gently woke Colton up, "Hey, wake up. Wake up," I sang. With a yawn, he opened his big hazel green eyes before nuzzling his face into my shirt. I took the bottle and placed it at his lips. He opened his mouth eagerly and drank his breakfast while I watched some TV.

This house is so boring without anyone here. I grabbed my phone at began looking up something before calling officer Ford. After a couple rings he answered, "Hello?" He answered groggily. He must've been sleeping.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?"

"No, it's fine. May I ask who this is?"

I put the phone between my neck and shoulder as I picked up the bottle Colton dropped on the bed. "Sorry, this is Mya Johnson. Do you remember me?"

He mumbled my name a couple times before it came to him. "Oh yes, Mya. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything's fine. I just wanted to find out if I could drop the charges against Chris." I bit down on my lip awaiting his response.

"What? Did he threaten you or something? Because I can promise you that I will do everything in my power to prevent him from hurting even a hair on your head."

"No, he didn't do anything like that," I laughed at myself for saying this, "I changed my mind."

I heard him sigh through the phone before the line went quiet. "Look, I apologize but you can't do that. The only way the charges could be dropped is if you went to court and say that you lied. I don't think you'd want that, now would you?" I shook my head, "No. Okay, so why can't he pay his bail so he doesn't have to go to some insane asylum." I held the phone up with my hand. "It's Chris. Knowing him he would've been out as soon as the court date passed."

"I don't know what happened. They just said he was mentally unstable. I heard he would just be in the yard looking at the wall or constantly talking to himself when no one is around."

I thought for a while. "Okay, so if he talks to himself when no one is around, how'd someone find out he's been talking to himself?" I rolled my eyes. "Whoever said this is contradicting himself."

"Fine, you got me," he laughed. "But I don't know. Ask him."

"He doesn't know either. You people are just trying to keep him locked up, aren't you?" He remained silent and I huffed. "I knew it." I hung up the phone and threw it on the other side of the bed. I heard some movement downstairs before a loud bang as if something fell. I got up quickly, putting Colton in his crib, in his room, before going downstairs. "Hello?" I peeked around the corner, finding nothing besides my bags on the floor. "Is someone there?"

I slowly tiptoed into the kitchen when I felt something on my shoulder. I let out an easy piercing scream before turning around and facing Maria, the maid. "Oh good Lord, Maria. You scared me!"

"I'm sorry, Mrs Mya. I didn't expect anyone to be here." I nodded to her in understand before going into the fridge for anything really. "Would you like me to make you something for breakfast? It really would be no trouble." I hesitated for a while before thanking her and going upstairs for Colt. I came back downstairs and put him in his playpen while I relaxed into the sofa.

This house was going to be extremely boring without anyone here. Colton is just a sleeping and eating baby that kicks and mumbles strange things now and again, he's not going to be enough. Maybe I can get a pet or something. Definitely not a cat, that's just a furry version of Colton. Maybe a puppy. A small, fluffy active puppy that could take my mind of things.

Yeah, I'll get a puppy. I'll just ask Chris the next time I see him.

And as if on queue, I got a text from his lawyer. He sent me the address of the 'hospital' Chris had been sent to.