xxxvi.

t h i r t y s i x

I woke up to a faint scratching noise that seemed to be coming from down stairs. I got up and slipped on my robe before going downstairs. I rubbed my eyes, hoping to adjust. It was quite early in the morning, about four a.m. Apparently, Colton slept through most of the night which is good, he needed it after wailing so much when we left Chris again yesterday. We've visited Chris for about a week now, maybe less.

I felt for the light switch on the wall and flicked it on revealing the source of the strange disturbance. Max was there whining and clawing at the door. "Max," I mumbled, annoyed. I opened the back door and he immediately ran outside. I leaned against the door and waited until he finished his business before closing the door behind him. "You know I bought this for a reason, right?" I picked him and placed him in front of the door before pushing the the flap open so he could see outside. He walked up cautiously to it and stepped out. I sighed because I've been doing this everyday since I got the door installed and he still does this. Such a stubborn dog, it's easier to train a cat to use a toilet. Max came back in and pranced to the stairs, trying to climb up each one.

I shook my head and closed the doggy door before grabbing Max and taking him upstairs with me. I went into the room and put him down on the bed. If Chris found out about this, he'd catch a fit. I got into the bed and Max snuggled up into my stomach.

💍

Today, we didn't visit Chris. I decided that we should stay home and relax and besides, it's Thursday and they don't allow visitors for too long. And I bet everyone over here is tired of seeing our faces already, well mine. They love Colton. I went down the stairs with Colt and Max in my arms. I didn't know what we could do today but I'm going to start by making brunch since I surprisingly slept through most of the morning. I put Colton in his high chair and let Max roam free in the living room. I decided to make a sandwich and a bottle of milk for the baby.

I was trying to feed Colton but he tried pushing the bottle away and started reaching for my sandwich which he couldn't have since he was so young and barely ate his mush that Gerber calls food. He had already started eating puréed foods which was good but he didn't really like it all the time maybe it's because he's transitioning between solids. I don't know but I'm beginning to notice that he's a very picky child.

I hid the sandwich behind me so he couldn't see it and tried feeding him again. He tried looking behind me but I kept moving around so he couldn't see until he just gave up and ate.

There was a knock on the door stopping me, once again, from having brunch. I took a quick bite and sipped some apple juice before going over to the door. I pulled down my loose shorts a bit then opened the door, revealing someone I never thought I'd see again.

At first I was stunned really but then I thought, 'who am I kidding?' As I said before, she always found a way to weave herself back into my life no matter how hard I try to forget her. "What are you doing here?" I questioned, plainly. I was prepared for her insults but what she said next was a shocker.

She held a shaky smile on her face, "I'm sorry." My eyes grew wide for a moment before I opened the door wider so she could come in. I led her into the kitchen where Colton sat. He looked at me then at my mother before throwing his bottle his bottle down on the floor with a scream.

"Colton, stop that," I scolded him and picked up the bottle.

My mother let out a awkward laugh saying, "I guess that's just another one to add to the list of persons who hate me." I looked at her but didn't say anything. I took in her appearance, it was different than the usual botched look she always had. She wore the same things but she looked different. Less...tense. I told her to take a seat at the island.