xxxiii.

t h i r t y t h r e e

After eating breakfast, I went up stairs and took a shower before getting dressed in pair of jeans and a sweater. I got Colton from downstairs and gave him a bath then dressed him in a red flannel onesie and a pair of jeans. I went downstairs and got Colton's car seat/stroller then grabbed the bunch of car keys. I went into the garage and put Colton in the Range Rover then checked my person for the phone before getting into the front seat. I opened the garage door then drove out of the yard and made my way to the mental institute they sent Chris to.

Although I know he's quite unstable, I still think he shouldn't be locked up. And I know I'm confusing myself but I just can't see myself not loving him. He's the reason I had Colton and had all these new adventures that I would've never expected to experience if I was still living in Germany. I would've probably changed my goals by now, like instead of working in some random business I would've been studying to become a chef or something. Yeah, I've got a new spark inside me whenever I'm cooking something. I was never one to stick to one thing since I get bored by a quarter of the way but I've grown accustom to sticking with it after I met Chris.

I turned into one of Chris's favorite drive-thru restaurant and ordered something for him and a cup of coffee then made way for the mental hospital. I pulled up in front of the building and took Colt out his car seat. This place wasn't in anyway like the creepy asylums I usually see on TV. The building was bright and welcoming with glass walls where you could see the patients sitting and playing games, reading or watching tv. I should really stop watching the second season of American Horror Story because they're leaving me with misinterpretations of places like these. I glanced at the window one last time and saw Chris standing there next to his lawyer. I smiled and walked up to the steel doors and pushed them with all my might because they were quite heavy. Guess they're making sure no one gets out easily.

I saw several nurses dressed in white walking about and conversing with one another before one of them came up to me. "Hi, may I help you?" He asked with a bright smile on his face and his arms behind his back. He look very casual for a nurse. He had a genuinely bright smile with pearly white teeth and hazel green eyes, curly brown hair and a freshly shaved jaw. "Hi, I'm here to meet with Chris Johnson." I returned a bright smile.

"Oh yes. The new guy. Are you his daughter?" He smiled at me then stuck his tongue out at Colton. I awkwardly cleared my throat and corrected him. "Oh my, I'm sorry. I just thought that you were- you look so beautiful and youthful I just wouldn't think that you were married."

I shook my head and released a small chuckle. "Sir, I'm not seventeen. I'm twenty one."

"Well, you don't look a day over sixteen," he smiled cheekily. "My name is James by the way." He stuck out his hand so I shook it. "Mya I presume?" I rose my brow in suspicion before nodding slowly. I thought he didn't know who I was. "If you'll follow me, I'll take you to your husband." He strode towards an empty hallway with pictures of Virgin Mary covering the walls. At least this wasn't wrong. He brought me into the bright room that I had seen through the window and pointed over to Chris who was talking with Mr Kent.

"James," someone called, "how many times have I told you not to interfere with the visitors?" The voice scolded. I turned around wide-eyed to the source. "I'm sorry, did he bother you, miss?"

"He was just-I didn't- he is-"

"Melissa I was just bringing her to the new guy! Did you know that this is his wife? She's quite a looker." He said winking at me then placed his hand right above of my butt. I shifted out of his grasp, feeling very uncomfortable that he would just touch me. "That doesn't matter James. You're not supposed to be around here anyway. How'd you get out your room?" James shrugged and walked away back down the hall in which we came. "I'm sorry about him. He's just something else." The blonde girl, Melissa, in front of me smiled.

I contemplated for while before asking her, "is he a patient here?" She nodded. "If you don't mind me asking, what is he here for?"

She sighed softly. "Might as well tell you since you can go to any one of the patients and they'll tell you everything.. He's here because he apparently killed his wife and his coworker. They were sleeping together." Oh.. That sounds somewhat familiar. "But we know he didn't do it. He's too nice but psychopaths are great actors. He pled insanity in court just so he wouldn't go to jail which is pretty smart if you ask me."

I was about to ask another question when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see it was Mr Kent. "I'm leaving now so you can see Chris." I nodded to him then he left. The nurse disappeared as well. I made my way over to Chris who was now sitting on a love seat by himself. I leaned in, giving him a kiss and handing him Colton before sitting down on the other end of the chair. "How's it been so far?"

"It's been good. I'm not staying here for too long though," he kissed Colt on his nose.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm doing everything I can so I could leave this place. I'm not meant to be confined a small place, have you seen my room? For Christ sake, the coat room is bigger than that."