xxix.

t w e n t y n i n e

"Did you see anything?" I shyly asked my best friend. "Anything you're not supposed to?" I felt my cheeks burn so hot when I thought of when she walked in on me and Jacob.

She rolled her eyes before running her hand over her face. "No, I only saw Jacob. You were behind the counter so all is well. Not that I didn't know what you were doing but yeah." She shrugged and I pushed her playfully causing her to laugh. "Come on, it's time to open the box." She placed the box with the brown wrapping around it on my lap. I removed the box from the wrap and ripped the cardboard box open revealing a cute lion costume. I lift it up and laid it next to Colton who was laying on his stomach, trying to crawl. He looked at the costume then tried to eat the fake fur that was supposed to go around his head. Riley took him away from it and started playing with him.

I took out the next outfit in the box, revealing a a dress similar to what Dorothy wore in the wizard of Oz but it was short and... It was short. I stood up, holding the dress to my chest to reveal the actual length of the garment. "Where did you get this thing?" I threw it on the bed and stared at it. "Chris wanted these costumes for all of you." All of you? What did she mean 'all of you'? As if she knew what I was thinking her eyes glanced at box then back to me. I peeked in the box and saw another costume. It was a pair of overalls and a straw hat. I took out the hat and flopped down on the bed, suddenly feeling very heavy.

As soon as I whispered his name, tears ran down my face. I felt so heartbroken and stupid. No matter how much of an ass he was, he was always a good husband at the end and a great father. I hated myself for putting him in jail because I know what he did was just a one time thing. He had a reason to be mad. I cheated and it might not even be his child that he was feeding at three in the morning. I want to go and see him. I want to apologize for putting him there. "I hope you're not thinking about anything stupid," Riley said bringing me out of my thoughts. I shook my head and wiped the tears away with back of my hand. I'm not going out tonight, the feeling isn't here anymore. I stuffed the hat back into the smaller box when I heard Jacob coming down the hall. I put it back in the big box and Riley took it out of the room, after giving me Colton, and then went back into hers, whispering a quick 'hi' to Jacob as he turned into the room.

He walked up to me and placed a kiss on Colton's head, then on my lips. "This is what you guys are wearing tonight?" He nudged his chin towards the costumes laying flat on the bed. I nodded. "Well, get ready if you still wanna go trick or treating."

"I actually don't feel like going out tonight. You take him. I-I want to stay here," I said fiddling with the hem of my top. I looked down avoiding his gaze for a moment before he went down on his knees in front of me. He held my chin between his thumb and index finger pulling my face up to look at him. "Are you okay?" No.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Colton held unto his watch pulling it down to his mouth so Jacob let go of my face. He looked deep into my eyes, trying to figure what was wrong but he was intimidating me so I looked away. Fixing Colton in my arms and sitting further up on the bed, I laid him down on the bed and dressed him in his costume. "Is it because of these people outside our house?" Our.. "Because I can go deal with them right now. I'll call the police if I have to." He got ready to pull out his phone but I stopped him.

I smiled at Colton in his costume. "I'm just not up to it anymore. Just take him, I'll be fine," I looked up to Jacob who looked at me worriedly. "It's okay." I laughed a bit because of how cute Jacob looked when he had a slight pout. I leaned and pecked his lips before he pulled me closer, ravaging my lips with his.. "The hell? Aren't you guys tired? You're like fucking rabbits!" We broke from the kiss and looked toward the doorway, seeing Riley frowning and Jon laughing with his arms folded. I stood up and gave Colt to Riley who was dressed in a cowgirl outfit, matching with Jon who was dressed as a cowboy. I guess I found the new couple.

"Watch your mouth around Colton," I said, giving both of them an eye.

"I guess we'll be going then," Jacob frowned.

"Aren't you going to wear a costume?" I asked but he shook his head. "Are you sure you don't want to come?"

I slapped his shoulder and told him that I was fine being home. He took the baby from Riley and then gave me a kiss before walking out the room.

I guess I should make dinner. Knowing them they'll be back around seven when Colton starts crying. I dragged my feet into the kitchen, switching on the stereo before pulling anything my eyes landed on out of the cupboards. I put everything on the island and opened the fridge for some water when something fell from on top of it. I picked it up, realizing it was a bag, but made envelopes to fall out of it. I picked them up and read that they were from the clinic in town. One was addressed to Chris Johnson and the other addressed to Jacob Moore.

"What is this?"