xix.

n i n e t e e n.

Linda Fischer

I couldn't believe that ungrateful brat told me to wait with her friend's little thing while she gave birth to Chris's baby. If it was even his. I fixed my attire feeling uncomfortable under the gaze of an older man sitting across from me. I looked down at the little pest sleeping away on the chair before she got up quickly and started firing questions at me like I was under interrogation. "Where is my mother? Why am I here? Where's Aunt Mya and her baby? Why is this place so cold? Wh-"

"Let's get this straight," I forced a smile on my face, "Mya is not your aunt an-" she interrupted me by putting her hands up to my face telling me to stop. "I know she's not my aunt she's my mom's friend. I know. I'm not an idiot." I looked at her in confusion but ignored her and fixed my hair. "I'm hungry, can I get something to eat?" I rolled my eyes. I liked her better when she was sleeping.

I wasn't going to spend a dime on the worthless people Mya called friends so I got up, pulling her with me to the room Mya was in. It's been a couple hours anyway, she should be done delivering whatever she had inside her. On my way there, I saw Mya's nurse, holding something wrapped in blue cloth. She was just about to turn into another room but I stopped her. "You!" She looked back quickly and gave me a wary smile. I hastily made my way in front of her, pulling the little girl along with me. "Is this the baby?"

She nodded, "Yes, this is little Colton Ezra." She rocked him gently as I looked at him. If this boy thinks this is his baby, he's a fucking idiot. She offered me to hold him but I declined.

An hour had passed since I saw the baby. I sat outside the room on the chair that had once been occupied by a small child and his older brother. Chris came out with a grin on his face along with Riley who took her daughter to the cafeteria after she cursed at me under her breath for not getting her child something to eat. "Do you want to see the baby?" He didn't give me time to reply because he just walked away towards a clear glass in the wall. I walked up to him slowly and faced the window. "There he is," He pointed to little caramel skinned child the nurse was placing in a crib. "He's mine."

"He's not yours." I mumbled. He looked at me with a baffled expression so I repeated myself, "He, that baby, is not yours. Firstly, he's brown when he should be mixed. An-"

"Shut up," It was my turn to look at him surprised. "Just shut up. It's my kid. I know my wife and she'd never do anything like this. Now shut up and leave." I took no second thought as to what I should do. I just walked away before he went back to Mya after he asked,"He could've picked up anyone's genes. What makes you think that this child must come out as a spitting as me, huh?"

Mya Johnson

I slipped on the baggy sweats and pink tee shirt Chris gave me and left the bathroom. "You ready?" Riley asked playing with Colton's tiny hand while he looked at her. He began drooling uncontrollably on his onesie. I nodded quickly before sitting down in the wheelchair next to the bed. She rocked him in her hands before giving him to me and pushing both of us out the room. "He's so cute," Jen said coming closer to us. She was waiting with Chris at the exit. He took over for Riley and pushed the chair out the door and to the car after we thanked the nurses. He opened the door and put Colton in his car seat. I stood up slowly because I was still recovering from 12 hours of labor and sat between him and Jen.

Riley and Chris sat in the front. I watched as Colton slept soundly through Jen's constant questioning. "Why is he sleeping so much?" I shrugged. "Why is he so small?" I shrugged again. "Why is that old lady so grumpy?" This time I laughed before my shoulders rose and fell. "Where did Colton come from?" Riley choked on, what I guessed was, air.