05 | can't be that bad

When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

"Last week my cousin's kid was with her," Yumi remembered. "He's only two years old and he cries really easily—and by easily, I mean that literally anything can set him off. I swear, you could look at him funny and he'll wail and wail for hours on end."

"You still love him anyway?"

"Of course, he's family, and he's just a baby," she laughed. "Last week, one of my dad's friends stopped by to give my mother something from him, and the kid happened to see him. Kept up a racket that made my eardrums feel like they'd burst open. I did the only thing I could think of—sang to him. He calmed down and actually fell asleep."

"You can sing too?" Jaemin's eyes lit up.

"Horribly, mind you."

"Oh, it can't be that bad," he said. "I'll tell you my answer—in the shower. Don't laugh at me. I've had a habit of singing just loud enough that only I can hear myself since I was a kid. I don't know where I got it."

"That's cute," she grinned. He made a face at her. "And yes, my voice is that bad."

"Then sing!" he challenged. "I'll sing, too, if that's what you want."

"Nope," she shook her head. "Move onto the next question!"

"Someday, Han Yumi, I'll get you to sing," he vowed.

✧✧✧

WORD COUNT: 237

"i'm always thinking about haechan, and that's offensive to my love for jaemin."  seung-ie 2022.