09 | constant good things

For what in your life do you feel most grateful for?

"That I have my art to retreat to when things become too much," Yumi said at once. It wasn't a hard choice at all. Ever since childhood, art had been one of the things she did when she didn't want to deal with everything bothering her. "It doesn't matter what it is—sketching, painting, whatever. Art is one of the few constant good things in my life."

"I think I feel the same about it," Jaemin mused. "It's like, the feeling of the pencil or brush doing what you want to, creating what you want to—it's therapeutic, in a way."

"Exactly!" she agreed. She still hadn't let go of his hand. "Creating something beautiful the way you want to makes you feel better about your life spinning out of your control."

"It does," he said. "But my answer is different, because, well, I talk a lot."

"You know that I don't shut up, either, when I get going."

"I know," he grinned. "My answer would be having my friends to rely on when I'm in a bad place, when I need to rant, or just to keep me company when I'm upset. Without my friends, I would have lost myself several times over already. When you sink into a dark place...it's difficult to pull yourself back out, when everything feels so hopeless. A world where everything seems like it's against you—that seems worse than trying to get out of that place, even though you know that you need to fight it to get what you want."

"I couldn't have phrased it better," Yumi said softly. "I think that's what I'm doing here with this quiz. Fighting for something I want to do."

"Then keep going at this," he said. "I'm not here to tell you to disobey your parents, but I am here to tell you that sometimes, you have to follow your heart."

Follow your heart, Yumi thought. My heart says it wants Na Jaemin, so I'll follow it.

✧✧✧

WORD COUNT: 343