nineteen.

SUNNY
  tobais and sunny's apartment

.
.
.

i anticipated to tell tobais when we got home. it would be better to tell him in this area than in public. tobais was concerned and nervous for what i was going to tell him.

but no way he's more nervous than i. i'm going to shit my pants.

i decided to change into something comfortable than tell him everything in a dress.

tobais is sitting on the couch waiting for me to be ready. i sit across from him, so i can see every expression he makes.

another break up is in the run for tonight.

i sigh. i look him in his eyes.

"i'm going to start from the beginning. and i want to prepare you, you may get upset with me towards the end. and i wouldn't blame you, i haven't been quite honest and frankly i wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to end things."

"so, this is bad bad." i nod.

"i don't know if i want to hear it." i raise an eyebrow, it was an odd response.

"what do you mean?"

"i mean, if it destroys our relationship, i'm not sure if i want it to be ruined. let's just push it under the rug. i forgive you and your past mistakes." this wasn't quite the response i was looking for. and i hadn't even started the story?

i jump in his arms and give him kisses everywhere. i guess we will sweep this under the rug. the past is in the past. but he needs to know one thing.

"one thing, i need you to know why i was crying."

"i'm listening." it felt dangerous to test the waters like this.

"dane and i, we have a past. and i got caught up tonight." his expression was unreadable. i push myself off him to give him space. he's looking at me, expressionless.

"what kind of past?" does he really want to know, they're partners. i don't want to jeopardize the relationship they have at work.

"i don't want to jeopardize the relationship you have with dane at work."

"it's been ruined since he made you cry, sunny."

"it was romantic."

"when was this?"

"i thought we were sweeping the past under the rug." i quoted him. but it was also fair for him to ask.

"well, your past is my future." he sighs irritated. i know this pushed him in some way. i needed to make this up.

"tobais, i'm sorry."

"sorry for what? sleeping with my partner when he was married?" he connected the pieces together.

"you are so much different than i thought. i was just your rebound? and you let me become your boyfriend.." he put his head in his hands and laughs quietly.

"i thought i knew you, but i don't. i don't know who you are." his words did sting. i should've just left everything under the rug.

i chewed on my lip anxiously. i didn't know what to do with myself. i do know if i should get up and pack or sit here and let him sort his feelings out.

"sunny, can you leave?" i broke his heart. and honestly it's for the better. i just caused this him too much pain.

"no, yeah. call me if you need anything?" he didn't respond.

where the hell was i supposed to go? i was basically stranded. i had only one idea, kyra's place. hopefully she will let me crash.

.
.
.

i've only been over here once. i was nervous she would even let me stay considering how my night has been going. i knock on the door.

i waited about thirty seconds. the door opens.

"sunny is it?" yahira greeted me at the door. shit. sometimes i forget dane and kyra are siblings. considering they look nothing alike.

"i was looking for kyra." i smile a small smile. i was embarrassed to be here.

"what do you need her for?" if this pretty nosy ass bitch doesn't get out my business.

"yahira, i've got it, thank you." kyra comes from behind with attitude. yahira leaves, leaving me and kyra alone.

"i was going to ask to stay the night, but you're busy." she drags me in her house.

"sunny, you are always allowed here. is everything okay with you and tobais?" i see him enter kyra's front room, through the corner of my eye. i can't look at him.

"um, just an argument. i'll get into detail later." she nods,

"you can sleep in my room with me. since the guest taken." she says being petty. considering dane was in the room with us.

"thank you." she makes me follow behind her. her bedroom was huge. it was mainly filled with photography, since that was her main source of income. she was successful at what she did. i need a photographer for my models. kyra's the perfect person.

"so what really happened with tobais?"

"i told him about dane. the truth."

"good." i raised an eyebrow confused why it would be, 'good'.

"tobais is good for you, but my brother is the one for you. his dumbass doesn't see it right now, because he's so convinced he's moved on when he hasn't."

"what do you mean by that?" genuinely curious about her thoughts of dane and yahira.

"do you not see it? yahira looks like you, but with an accent." i didn't think she looked like me? i probably won't even see it.

"she doesn't even look like me?" kyra shrugs her shoulders and tells me im in denial. which i'm not.

"well make yourself comfortable roomie, i know you're not going anywhere for a while. and we have a lot to catch up on."

.
.
.

i couldn't sleep without knowing i screwed things up badly with tobais. even if i didn't love him, we shared the best moments. i quietly tip-toed downstairs to grab water.

someone beat me to it.

the eye contact was hard.

"i didn't think you'd be here. i would've went somewhere else." i say, as if i was crying hours ago.

"i didn't mean to make you cry." i shrug very nonchalant.

"listen, sunny, there's no hard feelings?" at this point i ignore him. he doesn't deserve any of my attention.

i walk around looking for cups.

"they cups are in that cupboard." he points. i find the cups and use the faucet sink for water. he stares at me. analyzing me.

"stop."
"what?"

"you don't get to read me anymore." he blinks. i don't. i said it a tone that had him shocked.

"what happened with you and tobais?" he asked curiously as this was going to solve anything between us.

"not necessarily your concern, is it?" i cock my head and gave him a withering glare.

"we can't be friends?" what is with men trying to be friends after completely fucking with your heart?

"no. we can't."
"one thing i warn you of, on your day back tomorrow.." i pause considering if i should tell him.

"you might get punched in the face, really fucking hard by your business partner." i smile with a bit of satisfaction.

i leave and turn back.

"last thing, your 'girlfriend'," i had air quoted.

"she looks exactly like me." i smirk, feeling like i won.

i still didn't believe she looked like me, but i solely did that to piss him off.

vote. comment. share.

- renee 💗