twentyone.

SUNNY
    ➸ kyra's home

.
.
.

work was so good today. i had received the best news, a huge company wants to invest in my fashion. i think it'd be great for me. i would get more exposure. maybe i'll meet naomi campbell or anok yai. either way, it's the best news.

when i got to kyra's place, she was making dinner. it smelled so good and i was hella hungry.

"kyra! i have a huge favor to ask of you." i walk in the kitchen, forgot look alike was staying with kyra. i ignored her presence and proceeded my focus on kyra.

"be my photographer. paid full time. plus working with your bestie?" kyra looked and sighed. is she telling me no?

"sunny..." he hesitates.

"what, you can't? you're the best photographer i know. i've seen the pictures in your room." her depressing face turns into a smirk. she was messing with me.

"sunny, i'm messing. i would love to work with you. i've seen the work you put into your models." that made yahira want to speak into our conversation.

"let me model for you." my head turns. i smirk slightly at kyra.

"i have enough, but thanks."

"you can never have enough. photos of me, will boost more exposure on your small business." she said with a little attitude.

"listen, yahira. i understand you get everything you ever wanted in europe. but here, i'm not handing it to you. maybe impress me." or stay away from dane, that could work. i'd hire you in no hurry.

yahira, is beautiful, stunning even. she was correct, she would also give me more exposure. but i'm not working with my ex's girlfriend.

"you're not professional." she said with a shrug.

"i am." i spit back.

"if you were, you wouldn't let the feelings you still have for dane be in the way of your work." she stands up getting close to me.

i hear keys drop on the counter. dane. he heard what she said. i felt embarrassed but didn't let it show on my face. my tongue rolls on my teeth, making a quick decision. i feel dane starring at me, while i'm having a starring match with yahira.

"ladies?" yahira turns. she jumps into his arms and they kiss. she had beat me. i let her beat me. kyra stares at me, i shrug my shoulders. pretending i didn't care that it hurt. he loved her, more than me. as he stated, of course.

"yahira," i took a deep breath.

"tomorrow, i'd like to see you in some of my clothes." i stated confidently but wasn't confident. she smirks at me.

"starting to become more professional, i see." my mouth purses to the side in slight embarrassment.

"starting to get over my ex." i looked at dane. he looks unfazed. i brush past the two.

i felt confident in the moment.

.
.
.

it was friday and i were to be having my meeting with future investors. it's crazy how my old boss. george. everybody hates george. convinced me to even have a meeting with him.

i look at myself in kyra's mirror on her wall. i dressed myself professionally. nice blouse i created for this day, with an old pantsuit i had from working with george.

i brush myself off and stare at myself so more. i felt cute and confident. i felt a huge smack on my ass.

"good luck today." i turn to see that it's kyra. she loves to grab my ass for some reason.

"thanks, kind of nervous but, i think i got this?" i realized i wasn't too sure. i might cancel now.

pull that call in sick card. i work for myself. i can't do that. anymore.

i continue to look in the mirror some more. a tall, buff body was in my peripheral.

"obsessed with yourself?" he chuckles. i roll my eyes.

"actually, i'm learning to." i shove past him and walk away from in confidence. destroyed him twice.

.
.
.

i was brought into their conference room. nice sky overview of the city. you could see the clouds going through the building. i watched as it kept my composure.

i hear the door open and footsteps walk through the door. i quickly turn my body towards the door.

my eyes couldn't believe it. double ex and ex boss. triple the trouble in one room. i was fucked for sure.

i still kept my professionalism. i stook my hand out and shook their hands. i didn't expect them to be in the meeting with just george and i. that was simply stated days before.

"you don't mind these two joining? we're a team." i stare at him. it's like karma in one room and it's been handed to me on a friday.

and dane knew he was going to be here. i know he knew.

"no, i don't mind." i smile. but it was fake. tobais can barely look at me. he seems upset to be here. he looks really good when's he's mad.

snap out of it cameron. you're in an investing deal. invest!

"let's sit." george fills the awkward room. dane and tobais both pull out a chair for me. they both stare at each other in hatred. great way of starting. wait until george leaves the room. the two seat themselves across from each other. i'm head of the table, so all attention is focused on me.

"so, ms. sunny, or is it mrs. now? it's been a while." he chuckles trying to light the mood in the room.

"still ms." i answer simply. i didn't look at either the guys. i kept my focus on george.

"you're here, because we want to work with you." a grunt comes from tobais. he's still upset with me. i mean who wouldn't.

"need a water, tobais?" he waves his hands off and continues to stare straight in my direction.

"as i was saying, we want to invest in you. invest in your fashion, thing." fashion thing.

yes, it sent me off the wrong way. because it's my thing. my passion. my dream. it took me years to finally come to do something i want and it's perceived as a 'thing'. he may not understand it, but he sure will respect it.

"mr. newman, let me ask you something."

"what's your question?"

"am i being used right now?" the george and dane are in shock. tobais looks slightly impressed. which made me fill a little better about standing up to george.

"what do you mean by that?" dane sits up and waits for me to answer his question.

"you don't think i know the lack of women you work with? especially in this building. half the time used as tools and something to stare at? you want to work with a woman coming into a future of good because it will benefit you and you will look better, correct?" i definitely wasn't even finished, i was getting started.

"and here, i thought i was getting a better opportunity for myself and the people i work with. who i treat as equals. and if i am being completely honest, i'm not about to be your little pawn. i want people to invest in me because they want to be equal and work with me. i want you to actually be interested in my, your words not mine, "fashion thing". with first not calling it a 'fashion thing'. i believe we're done here, gentlemen." i get up from my chair and take myself out their conference room.

and that's how you do it, like a boss.

vote. comment. share.

- renee 💗