Nineteen// Grasshopper 🎀

Gideon
†††††

Having lunch with Chucks and Ruth honestly wasn't something I ever planned. Chucks was someone,who honestly I couldn't deal with,if wasn't saying annoying stuff, he'd be doing worse. Anyways what can go wrong? Just lunch with him wouldn't hurt, right?

We were having steaks,what the folks around here called Souya. It was grilled beef with enough spice to go down with it,served in old newspapers. It was cheap, yummy and everyone liked it. It was the kind of meal one often had after a long day of work to forget the stress of the day.

It was nice that he was treating us out but I couldn't tell why. Despite when he even mentioned that the reason behind the meal was because of it was his birthday,I couldn't bring myself to buy that justification. We weren't close enough for him to consider bringing me along to celebrate something this big with him and Ruth. She even felt a bit surprised when he mentioned today was his birthday. I could tell something else was up.

After a while of eating, Ruth had to excuse herself to take a call, leaving just me and Mr. Chucks; I felt awkward.

"So ehmm..." Not like I even knew what to say but an attempt too starting a conversation wouldn't be that bad.
"Looks like it's just both of us?" Chucks says with a suspicious smiling.
"Hope not!" Did not know when I said this.
"Huh?" He must have heard it and felt confused.
"Nothing!"
" I only said hope her call wasn't something serious!" I think I'm a great liar.
"Ah,okay." He buys it.
" You know what?" He give a stare as if he's about to revile something big.
" What?" I'm curious.
" It's not my birthday!" A shocker.
"What!" I'm surprised, though I didn't believe him when he said it earlier,but Ruth did.
"So you lied?" I think lying the way he did was something kids from kindergarten would do to get their friends attention, he was too old for that.
"Not like I wanted too." Tries to justify himself again, just like he always does.

Before our conversation could proceed any further, Ruth returns.
"Something just came up and I need to go now." She says.
"Okay!" The break through I need to get away just popped up.
"Sorry!" Says as she gently places her hand on his shoulder.
"Happy birthday once again!" Adds.
I give him a stare signaling him to just tell her the truth about the whole thing;but he doesn't.
"Bye guys." We watch her as she walks away.

Before she left she leaves a note for me that reads 'keep him company'. I felt annoyed but seeing looking at the old man sharing the table with me,I couldn't be that heartless, compassion was coming from no where and beginning to overwhelm me.
"Well, you can go if you want to." He said. I arose from the chair with a bold move to leave him but then I couldn't. I struggled to move five steps away from him but then stopped, turned back, wrestled with myself before heading back to where he was and took my seat once again. He smiled as if the heavens had sent an angel to join him.

"So,ehmm, what's this really about?" I said looking down at the note Ruth left earlier,then squeezed it.
"Well..." He puts his hand into his pocket,brings out a paperclip and then places it on the table.
"A paperclip?" I'm a bit confused.
"It's my boys birthday today!"
"Oh!" I felt touched, maybe just a bit, but it was genuine, honestly.
He brought out the picture of his boy,a fine looking young lad of 16.
"He's turning 31 today!" Said in a cold voice.
"Okay!"
"Where's he now?" I'm being inquisitive.
"Somewhere really far away." He gives a warm smile.
"Ehmm, don't you wanna give him a call?" Doesn't sound like a bad idea,I guess.
"Better not,his life is better without me in it!" I can't help but wonder what may have transpired between him and his son.
"Last time we spoke,things didn't go down well for both of us!" He sadly says.
"Okay?" I feel a bit confused.
"That was when?"
"Six years back!"
"Oh!" Really long ago. Who knew the ever laughing and fun Chucks,had issues that were this big.
"I heard he's being doing well and he's even gat kids of his own;my grand kids."
At this point,I couldn't tell whether too continue with the conversation or to just change topic.
"Hey,look at the bright side, whether you're in talking terms or not, you've gat grand kids that would be happy to see you." I say with a smile, maybe it's the first time he's ever seen me smile.
"And if that can't cheer you up,there's souya, enjoy life!" I smiled.
"Yeah!" He laughs.
"Maybe cocktail would make things even better!" His suggestion sounds great but I don't drink, I stopped taking alcohol years back.
"Maybe the cocktail doesn't sound like a good idea!" I protest.
"One glass wouldn't be that bad,will it?"
"Okay maybe!" He's persuasive and maybe one glass wouldn't be that bad as he says.