Chapter 4, Part II

Chapter 4: The Mice in Council, Part II (Daily Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: Wakey-wakey, everyone! Rise and shine! As it is now...

I drowned out the rest of the announcement with this:

Reiji: Do I care anymore? I know full well what's the time. I don't need you parroting it every time I get out of bed. You're not an alarm clock.

Of course, badmouthing the teacher is far more safer when he's stuck behind a screen and can't do anything about it because it wasn't physical violence. I felt a sense of smug satisfaction as I got ready for the day: brushed teeth, washed face, put on shirt, locked dorm room.

Maybe spending time with my alive "friends" could distract me from the dead ones.

----

(Free Time Event #13: Tetsuo Garcia)

What was I thinking back then? He was known to be dangerous, didn't take kindly to any suggesting that what he was doing was morally wrong, yet I still went ahead with locating Tetsuo, in the gymnasium, and pumping him for information. I even knew that it wasn't a good idea but I still went ahead with it. This is how it went down.

Reiji: I'm afraid of you.

Tetsuo: You should be.

Reiji: But... but I faintly recall seeing something on TV.

Tetsuo: About what?

Reiji: About Sparkling Justice. About you. About some "reign of terror" in Japan's underbelly. Considering that I'm probably not going to live to expose your secret...

Tetsuo: Very well then. Dead men tell no tales, after all.

Reiji: Are you going to kill me? For knowing too much?

Tetsuo: Everybody here knows. It's out of the question. And besides, you haven't committed any crimes I see fit to punish you for. At least what I know of. But anyways, I shall fulfill your request.

Reiji: I suspect it was a killing spree, correct?

Tetsuo: Exactly, Reiji.

Reiji: And-and what started it?

Tetsuo: Crime was shooting through the roof. Law and order broke down, overwhelmed. People were being informed about the gruesome demises of their loved ones second-hand.

Reiji: So you-

Tetsuo: I did exactly what you expect. I took my masks, anything I could get my hands on: wrenches, sledgehammers, nail guns, kitchen knives, et cetera. And I got to work. Para la justicia.

Reiji: ...

Tetsuo: What do you think?

Reiji: I'm-I'm sorry, but I cannot justify this brutality.

Tetsuo: I was spreading justice! Every single one of those criminals deserved to die!

Reiji: And what about us? Do we deserve to die?

Tetsuo: ...I beg your pardon?

Reiji: Exactly. You're just looking for any reason to kill us all, aren't you?

Tetsuo: Away from my sight then.

Reiji: Fine! If it makes you feel any better!

I ran off, utterly disgusted with him. For the right reasons, he was doing the wrong thing, and he was so bullheaded about his beliefs that it was like talking to a brick wall.