nineteen

Over the past few weeks, you had been doing better.

Though there was still no sign of Bucky, you were using any excuse to distract yourself.

You went back and continued to work at Izzy's.
You have been doing better, health-wise.
You made peace with Yori.

You still haven't gotten around to using your powers. It brings back too many painful memories.

And you don't want to relive any of that again.

Right now you're walking to a coffee shop. You had worked late the last few nights at Izzy's, people always stay late when they drink too much.

"Y/N!" someone shouted.

You turned around to see your co-worker, Mason, "Mason? Hey" you said, tucking strands of hair behind your ear, "Did I forget something?"

"No, I just wanted to talk to you about something." he nervously said, "I was, uh, wondering if you'd like to go out to eat with me?"

"You want to eat with me? you asked, puzzled.

Mason was a good-looking guy. He was tall, maybe 6 foot 9, and had curly brown hair. He was that unfortunate co-worker that was drooled over.

The kitchen staff drools over him as if he was a piece of meat, groups of girls would walk into Izzy's just to see if he would be their waiter.

You talk to him here and there but you're probably the only one that doesn't find him and his looks interesting.

"It's fine if you don't want to. I just thought it would be nice to hang out with you" he stuttered. "Here's my number," he said writing it on your hand, "Text me or you know, call me"

"Yeah...I'm not looking from anything of the sort, Mason" you said. "It sounds...fun, but uh, I just can't," you said.

"Can I at least buy you a coffee? It's my treat" he said happily.

"Uh, actually...I'm on my way home. I'll see you later " you said right before walking home.

As you walked home you had a bad feeling in your stomach. It sat there, warning you about god knows what.

You got to your apartment and walked in. Everything seemed to be fine so you ignored the feeling.

You suddenly stopped midway through the house, on the way to your room. Your eyes darted to the couch and your surprise Sam lay there, knocked out.

"Who the hell let you in here?!" you said, shoving him off the couch.

"WOAH!" he said, his words followed by a loud thud.

"I was wondering when you were going to get home." he yawned

"I don't care what you have to say, get out."

"You can't be mad at me, Y/N. I've been really busy and being the new Captain isn't easy"

"Too busy to shoot a "hey, how are you?" text, huh?" you fumed.

"I get it. You're mad. Just hear me out" he sighed

"Sam...I've been working on my life these past few weeks. It's been almost a month since I left that hospital bed. I'm doing great and I can't help you"

"It's nothing like that. I just thought I'd drop by to hang with you" he laughed.

"How's Sarah?" you asked, taking your jacket off and placing it on a kitchen chair.

"Good. She and the boys have loads of fun fishing out on the lake" he chuckled.

You were a bit confused as to why he was here. "How have you been?"