XXV

| Twin Sized Mattress /  The Front Bottoms |

[ Finn ]

"Only two weeks to finals guys. I know you have a lot of stuff for other classes, but I made these packets for you. They're study guides. Go through, highlight things you aren't sure on. If you bring it in to me next class I'll help anyone who wants it. Emphasis on wants it. I know who needs it but I'm not babying you."

I walked up the stairs and handed out packets to each row.

"Sir these are really thick." Someone called.

People laughed around the room and I rolled my eyes. "It's up to you whether you fill them out or not but these are going to be really helpful."

My phone started to ring in my pocket and I pulled it out. Y/n knows I'm in class so why is she calling me? Is it an emergency?

I answered it and walked back down the steps.

"Finn?" Y/n spoke up first.

"Yeah?"

"I'm at the store and I know you're in class but there's some wine here I don't know if I should buy it or not." I put a hand on my forehead and sighed.

"You scared me... How much is it?"

"$250..."

My jaw dropped and I turned away from the class.

"Does it look good? I'll cashapp you half if you share with me."

She laughed and I heard the bottle clinking. "Ok I'll send the money now."

"Love you Finn."

"Love you too."

I hung up the phone and turned back around. My students were staring at me or staring at their phones. "Raise your hand if you don't have a packet."

. . .

I opened the apartment door and walked inside. On the counter was the bottle of wine with a small bow on it. I smiled and shut the door, locking it.

"I'm back." I called.

I walked around my apartment but she wasn't here. I put the bottle in the fridge and sat on the couch.

I sighed and looked over at the picture of Nick and I.

My chest got tight and suddenly it felt like I was fighting for my air. And I was losing.

I undid my tie and started heaving deep breaths. I stood up and unbuttoned some of my shirt. I put a hand on my chest and my other hand on the wall to steady myself.

I grabbed my phone and tried to unlock it but my hands were shaking and my vision blurred. My breathing continued to speed up and slowly my vision closed in.

Maybe I should've sat down.

I collapsed on the floor and continued to try and steady my breath.

.  .  .

[ Y/n ]

I unlocked the door and came into Finn's apartment. "Fi-"

I looked down at the ground and he laid there taking short fast breaths. I ran over and got on my knees next to him.

"Finn? Finn?!" He was trembling so bad I couldn't tell if maybe he was actually having a seizure. "Y/n?" I turned and Brooklynn stood in the door.

"Brooke! Go get your mom!" I tried to hide Finn from her and she nodded and ran out of the room. I left the door open... Brookelynn... She's just a kid I can't believe she saw this.

What do I do?!

I rubbed his hair and held him closer to me.

Brooke's mom is a nurse right?! Or at least she's getting her certification.

I held Finn in my lap and tried not to cry any harder.

Brookelynn's mom came in and I turned to her. "I don't know what happened p-please."

She came over and bent down.

"Finn? Finn? Can you hear me? Raise your hand as much as you can if you can hear me." We both looked down at his hand and he lifted it slightly.

"Good. Do you know where you are?"

She opened his eyes and shone a light into it.

Finn nodded a little and I sat there helplessly on the side.

She looked back at me and smiled.

"It's just a panic attack."

I sniffled and looked back at him.

"I think it's most effective if you comfort him."

She stood up and left the room, shutting the door behind herself.

Me?!

What do I do?

Why did she just leave like that?!

I came closer to him and put his head in my lap. I caressed him and tried to stay calm. "Breathe Finn... Breathe." I whispered.

Slowly but surely, he worked longer and deeper breaths into his breathing patterns. His trembling almost completely subsided in five minutes and he opened his eyes.

Finn took some more deep breaths and I continued to caress him.

He grabbed my hand and I sniffled.

"I'm sorry... I don't know what happened. I just... Couldn't breathe." He finally said.

I nodded and rubbed his hair. "You're ok now." I smiled. Finn kissed my hand and I looked away from him.

Finn sat up slowly and hugged me. I started to cry and hugged him tightly. I wanted to yell at him. Tell him not to scare me like that ever again.

Instead I just sniffled and opened my mouth to say the only thing that would really come out.

"I love you so much."

A/n: this book has like 7 chapters left 🧚‍♀️✨