Chapter 35

hey guys! okay so we're getting close to the end of the book. I actually finished writing it today which was both relieving and sad. There is three chapters left :( So thanks to the persistent nagging of my brother I'm updating again today instead of Thursday. let me know that you guys think.

Chapter 35

Once again I find myself in that starch white room with only a table and a chair. Though now I know that the opposite wall is really a one-sided sheet of glass and that someone is probably on the other side watching.

"I'll ask again, Miss Hanson," Hope says pacing the floor in front of the table where I am sat. "You had another companion with you when you arrived here. Where are they?"

I sigh and stretch my arms above my head with a fake yawn. I've picked up a few things over the past few hours and one of those is that Hope absolutely hates when anyone does anything lazily or without purpose.

"Miss Hanson," she repeats when I don't answer.

"I've told you I don't like to be called that. I try to avoid any association with the man who fathered me and his surname is one of those irritating things about him," I say. "So when you finally get it through your head that my name is Casey and just Casey, then maybe we can get along and get through this interrogation."

Hope stops her pacing and leans against the glass wall. She runs a tired hand over her face and sighs deeply. "Can you just answer the question?"

"No." I lean my chair back and pull my legs up onto the table. "There. Happy now?"

"That's not the question I was referring to and you know it."

"Yes but that won't change my response. There was no one else with us. It was just me, Lillie, and Jacob."

Now she's angry, I can tell. Her face grows a bright red color and her hands curl into fists. She pushes off of the wall and walks to my table. Shoving my feet off she places her hands flat against the cold metal. Her lips peel back into a half-snarl. "Where is he?"

In my peripheral vision I can see the few soldiers who were allowed to remain in the room step in to form a circle around Hope and me. The three mutants also move in toward their leader.

I, however, decide to play this calmly. After all, it is what irks Hope the most. I stand up and take the few steps around the table so that I am face-to-face with Hope. "For the last time, no one else came with us. Jacob told us that he found something fishy in some random guy's basement and he wanted me and Lillie to check it out. We flew here and when we landed some shadow-monster thins attacked us talking Jacob and Lillie hostage."

"So you mean to tell me that you flew two people halfway across the country by yourself?" Hope asks.

"Can I finish?" I ask. Hope scowls but closes her mouth. "Thank you. Now, seeing that my friends were in trouble I took it upon myself to finish the job and hopefully get them back in the process." I snort, "You can see how well that turned out. I got into the guy's basement and when I found the door it opened and my evil sister showed up to take me to you. That's all there is to tell."

We stand there for a minute or two just staring each other down. I can't get physically violent with her or I'll more than likely get shot. So I stick with what I can do- frustrate her. I stare her straight in her eyes and I can see her resolve slipping. She lets out a breath and takes a step away from me.

"Fine," she says. "I can see this is all we are going to get out of you for now so you can just go back to your room." With a wave of her hand the group of heavily armed, heavily misled adults surround me and walk me back to my cell.