Chapter 3

Hey guys! sorry i didn't update yesterday i worked all day and then had a swim meet afterwrds. but anyways here is the next chapter and i hope you enjoy it.

Happy reading!

Chapter 3

It was a restless sleep. I dreamed that I was flying far above the ground, the wind whipping my hair into my face. There were voices swimming around in my head telling me that everything was going to be alright.

I opened my eyes and saw a blue sky above me. I was lying on a soft bed surrounded by fluffy blankets and pillows. There was an elderly lady sitting at the foot of the bed watching me.

“Hello, sweetie,” she said in a scratchy voice. “You’re going to be just fine. It wasn’t supposed to happen like this, but now that you’re here…” she trailed off and looked around her. “You can never go home.” I blacked out again.

When I finally woke up, I was in a small bedroom. The ceiling was painted blue, and the walls were a light shade of pink dotted with purple splatters. Pushed up against the far wall were a wooden dresser and a small door.

I sat up. Looking around, I saw that I was alone and that I was still wearing my jeans and tank top from the cave. I gingerly swung my legs over the edge of the bed and stood up.

Curiously, I walked to the door and opened it a crack. The hallway outside was empty. I opened the door further and stepped into the hall.

The walls were lined with doors on either side of the hallway. At the end of the hall, I could see a staircase that led down. I headed towards that, intending to explore this place where I was confined.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

I turned to see who was speaking. Standing in the doorway of a room on the left side of the hall was a boy who looked to be about my age. He had pale skin and jet black hair. He was looking at me with curiosity as well as dislike with eyes that burned a bright blue.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“That’s none of your business,” he replied roughly. “What are you doing in my house?”

“Your house?” I asked. “Yeah right.”

“You don’t believe me?” he said, his voice dripping with hostility. Then he moved. One second he was standing at the door. The next, he was standing right in front of me. He shook his head. “Little girl. I don’t think you want to mess with me.”

“Enough Jacob,” said a girl’s voice. “No need to frighten her.”

I stepped back from the boy, Jacob, and turned to look at the girl who had materialized from behind one of the doors.

“Name’s Lillie,” she said with a slight southern accent. “And you are?”

“Casey,” I replied. “Can you tell me where I am?”

Lillie laughed a wicked laugh. “You’re here. Here in this hell hole with the rest of us.”

“Right,” I said. “And where exactly is that?”

“You’re right at home. Trust me little butterfly,” Jacob said.

I saw something move behind Lillie as she walked toward me. “You, along with the rest of us, are an experiment. Part of the scientist’s imaginary world. You’re an angel, right? Well, Jacob here is a speed demon. And I,” she cut off and walked closer to me, pinning me against the wall. “I am the Devil.”