Chapter 37

Hey guys so after this there is one more chapter and then the book is over! I hope you guys like this. be sure to comment and vote.

Chapter 37

About half an hour later I am sitting in a different, smaller room eating a hamburger from McDonalds's with my dad. Normal right?

Wrong.

The room, through small and cramping would be cozy if the tension wasn't so darn thick. The table and chairs are a matched set with red cushions and table cloth with little patterns stitched on in black. The lights are turned down relatively low but enough so that I can still see and enough to not be creepy. There were drapes on the walls that matched the table cloth and a few couches sat in a small circle on the opposite side of the room.

After his conversation with John, my dad refused to talk about anything but my love life. Nearly fifteen years I lived in the same house as him and only now does he actually take an interest in me. Not only that, but he is convinced that Sam has it out for me. Yeah right. If anyone is trying to hurt me it would be him, not Sam.

"Look can we not talk about this? If you're going to hold me hostage here the least you can do is leave me be."

"Okay," he replies in a terse, impatient voice.

Well that was easy.

I turn back to my burger and continue staring blankly at it. I get that he didn't actually make it but I can't help not eating anything given to me by my dad.

I'm surprised no one has come looking for me, though I guess John could have told them on his way back here with our food. John stands by the door, straight-faced and solemn. Long brown hair covers half of his face, but his grey eyes can be seen through the fringe. He's not that intimidating but when I rooted through his brain when he got here I found that it was not nearly as easy as breaking Hope's defenses.

At the thought of Hope guilt crashes through me and tears spring to my eyes. Yeah she was twisted and pretty much evil, but she was the nicest bad guy I think I've ever met- and I've met a lot. And she let me see my friends. That's more than I could say for my own father.

I decide to try my luck since I'm not getting anywhere with screwing around inside John's head and my dad has somehow rendered himself immune to mind-digging.

"Can I use that restroom?" I ask hoping that at least I can get out of this room even if there are no windows to sneak out of.

My dad raises his head from the book he was reading and glances toward John who shrugs. "I don't see why not," he says. "John can take you."

"Thanks," I mutter and rise to my feet.

John gives me a stiff smile as I approach his tall frame. "Let's go."

He starts walking, opening the door with a key from his belt. We pass the room where I was interrogated and I can see that people are still inside looking, probably, at Hope's body.

Another wave of guilt tears through me but I suppress it, shoving the tears away. I will not cry.

John stops in front of a door that looks like all of the rest and motions for me to go inside. I tentatively push it open and am greeted by a small, one-person restroom. A window on the back wall shows an open field with the sun shining bright. There is a deer in the middle of the meadow. It's a fake window.

Great.

I sit down on the counter with the sink and put my head in my hands. What do I know about my powers? What can I use against John or my dad? I ask myself these questions whilst trying to think of a way out. I know that I can control people's minds and apparently have them kill themselves. I know that I can run really fast if I try which could be helpful in escaping. I know that I can fly. I know that I most likely won't make it out due to Emma's ability to freeze me in place.