Chapter 11

hey guys! sorry for the long wait.. but here is the next chaper. it will also probably be my last one for a while because school just started and Marching band season starts next weekend. but ill do my best to keep updating as often as possible. thank to anyone who has read thus far and enjoyed it. it means a lot that so many people have stuck with me for so long. anyway, enough talk from me. i hope you enjoy this next installment.

Happy reading!

Chapter 11

We drove, and drove, and drove some more until I had lost track of time and place. We had stopped a number of times in the past few days - mostly to refuel rather than eat or sleep- but still, we drove on.

Late at night on the fourth day since leaving the hotel in New York, Sam pulled the car onto a narrow dirt path that led through a field of tall grass.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"An old hideout of mine," Sam answered. "From before I found the others."

It wasn't often that Sam mentioned his life before he met the rag-tag group of mutants that had become his family over the past few years. I was extremely curious about his childhood, but whenever I brought it up, he would shrug it off and change the topic.

Lost in thought, I didn't realize where we were until Sam turned the car off. Sitting high above me was a tree house. It was rather small; big enough for maybe two people. But the design was amazing, especially is Sam had built it himself.

Perched between two branches, the small house sat twenty feet off the ground. There was a rope-ladder, that seemed to be the only way of getting up, which opened up in the middle of a large balcony that wrapped around the whole house.

"Woah," I breathed.

"Pretty great, huh?" Sam remarked.

"This is amazing! Did you build it?"

"Who else? It's not like I could hire someone to do it."

"Good point," I said. "But how am I going to get up?"

Sam frowned, deep in thought. "I honestly hadn't thought of that, what with your busted up arm and all."

"You could fly me up?" I suggested.

"Or I could make you climb the ladder while I watch and laugh at your suffering," he joked.

"Ha ha, very funny."

"I know I am," Sam said with a smug grin.

"Just get me up there."

"Whatever you say princess." And with that, he picked me up, spread his wings, and carried us onto the balcony.

We landed clumsily on the large porch. Apparently it’s extremely difficult to carry a winged person twenty feet into the air- who knew? Sam then led me inside and sat me down on one of the large, cushy couches lining the walls of what I assumed to be the living room.

“Wait here,” he instructed before walking through one of the mysterious doorways placed around the room.

While he was gone I took the chance to explore the tree house. The living room, where Sam had left me, was rather large. There were two couches, which met in one corner, and opposite them was a small TV set that looked older than my grandmother. The doorway that Sam went through was to my left, so naturally, I went through the other one, to my right.

The doorway led to a short hallway with three doors- one on either side and the third was at the end. Peeking inside each one, I found that the first two were bedrooms- each with a small twin-sized bed and a dresser- and the third one led out onto the balcony.