No child deserves a monster

Upon entering New Orleans and passing the welcoming sign, she felt a pang of nostalgia as her heart beat slowly. The city she left behind a century ago had been destroyed in a single night, along with everything she had built.

Finding herself in Rosseuws, a nearly empty bar in the early morning, she drummed her fingers on the counter, waiting for an employee to appear. When a beautiful blonde finally approached her, she apologized for not noticing her arrival and asked what she would like to drink.

Kára replied with a hum, "I've been told I walk quietly. Yes, please, a neat bourbon."

"Isn't it a bit early for a drink?" the girl asked, while still preparing the drink. Kara gave her a smile.

"It's five o'clock somewhere, Miss," she replied.

"Oh, Camille O'Connell, and you? I haven't seen you in town before."

Kára took a sip of her bourbon. "I just arrived today. I'm Kara Mikaelson. Nice to meet you, Camille."

Kara had hoped to enjoy her drink in peace, but it seemed like every bartender felt the need to pry further, offering advice or simply lending an ear.

"What made you come back to the big easy?"

Kara finished her drink and signaled for another. "I used to live here," she said as she accepted the drink.

"Oh, when did you live here?" Camille inquired.

Kara chuckled softly. "Feels like a hundred years ago," she replied, watching Camille nod in understanding, thinking it was a long time ago.

"I just moved here too. What made you return?"

Kara moistened her lips and downed her second glass, then pulled out some cash for the drinks and tip. "My siblings are around here somewhere, and I'm worried they might get into trouble," she mentioned as she stood up.

"Seems like a regular thing for them."

With a smirk, Kara replied, "Indeed it is. Thanks for the drink, Camille. It's nice to see the city restored to its former glory," she added, disregarding the puzzled expression on the young woman's face.

🐺

"Elijah, you summoned me here. I am eager to learn the reason behind your actions." She gazed at the two men seated in front of her. Both Klaus and Elijah exchanged a look that left her puzzled.

Klaus appeared more straightforward, sporting a sly grin on his face and eyes filled with hidden knowledge, secrets that were kept from her. She despised that expression, as it often hinted at plots, deceptions, and deceit.

"Our brother was enticed to come here from Mystic Falls under the pretense that someone was plotting his demise. Naturally, he followed the breadcrumbs, leading him back to the sanctuary we established."

Kara's eyes remained unimpressed as she stated, "Oh, what a surprise, our brother is once again the center of murder plots and deception. How original, Elijah. I've had more than enough excitement for my immortal life. So, if this is just another one of those instances, forgive me for not being impressed. None of us can be killed, including Klaus, thanks to the disappearance of the white oak stakes. Our dear younger brother took care of that. So, besides his usual weapons and coffins, Klaus has nothing to fear."

Klaus laughed, "Seems like people always try to plot against me, but they picked the wrong hybrid this time." He chuckled quietly, a hint of amusement still in his eyes.

"So, I'm the hybrid they want to get rid of?" She inquired, a dark expression on her face.

Elijah touched his sister's hand gently, and she allowed him to distract her from her dark thoughts. "I had to see you in person because this is urgent and can't be discussed over the phone," he explained.