[ 19 ] the book club from hell

019. THE BOOK CLUB
FROM HELL

⎯⎯ mentions of substance abuse in this chapter

"CHIMERAS..." Stiles' father spoke aloud as he stood with his back to his son and his girlfriend, facing a practically empty board in front of him—the only things filling it being two headshots of teenagers, Tracy and Lucas.

"Two dead Chimeras—" Stiles added, stood with his arm crossed over his chest and a face of thought.

"—And eight new ones," Aspen added to Stiles' words, looking equally as in thought.

From the exterior, Aspen looked incredibly put together today. She was rocking the preppy vibe, dressed in a black pleated skirt, a simple white button down covered up with a dark blue blazer, and her usual amount of rings bejewelling her fingers. She wore some tan brown knee high boots, and her hair was curled to absolute perfection, her makeup delicate and intricate.

She looked like she must've taken hours to get ready.

Which she did— because she never went to sleep.

"So, that's ten in all." said Stiles."I'm thinking maybe eleven..." Stiles' father said, making Aspen and Stiles turn to each other with wary faces.

And then Stiles' heart picked up in pace as he watched his father put up a picture of Donovan Donati next to the other two.

Aspen wasn't trying to on purpose, but her supernatural senses picked up on the spike in Stiles' heart rate. She turned her head to the side to look at him again, her eyebrows furrowing ever so slightly, but Stiles just kept looking forward. Her eyes examined his face which looked normal. She was a little skeptical, but she let it go.

After all, she was hoping he wasn't noticing the bags of fatigue under her eyes which shed attempted to cover up with a vast amount of makeup that morning.

"Our station tech guys confirmed something for me..." Sheriff Stilinski continued, "They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys—"

"—Dread Doctors," Aspen said as Stiles' dad picked up the book for reference.

"Are we really calling them that?" he replied.

"So, we're saying they broke Donovan out?" Aspen returned back to the subject at hand, while Stiles stayed uncharacteristically quiet.

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?" Stilinski said back.

A moment of silent thought washed over the room, as Aspen stared at Donovan's headshot that was pinned to the cork board. Then, she walked over to it, concluding that "Donovan's a Chimera." she said.