[ 24 ] quality time with theo raeken

024. QUALITY TIME WITH THEO RAEKEN

                      SCOTT had come up with a plan, and it involved using Hayden, a recently discovered chimera, as the bait

SCOTT had come up with a plan, and it involved using Hayden, a recently discovered chimera, as the bait. He, Liam, Malia, Lydia and Parrish were all at the school that night, waiting for the dread doctors to make an appearance.

Aspen begged Scott to let her go with them, but for some reason— he didn't seem to want her help, not this time. Aspen had pointed out to him that she was the strongest out of all of them and that she'd be a valuable weapon against the dread doctors if it came down to it, but all he had said was: "Aspen, you should stay home. Maybe get some sleep, we don't need your help."

To which she had responded with "Yes— you do! Why are you shutting me out of this all of a sudden— did I do something?"

The look that Scott had then given her had been engraved in her mind ever since. He was looking at her with a mixture of three things: pity, distrust and disappointment.

But she had no idea why.

Meanwhile, Stiles was alone with Theo.

The two boys were sat in Stiles' jeep outside the animal clinic, watching through small, smart-watch screen to see if anyone was getting into the clinic to steal the chimera's dead body. Theo was going to just stand inside all night alone, when Stiles turned up pointing out that the person stealing the bodies probably wasn't going to turn up while they were watching guard over it.

So now they sat in a very tension-filled silence in Stiles' jeep, both watching this tiny screen wondering if conversation would ever arise.

Theo kept glancing his eyes from the screen to Stiles, watching intently and observing his hardened jaw and the tension he was radiating. Theo had to suppress any kind of smirk, knowing Stiles hated him so much but he didn't even know the real reason why he should.

"You still wondering why I haven't said anything to Scott?" Theo finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Maybe." Stiles replied bluntly, glancing over at the boy in the passenger seat.

"You... think I have some kind of ulterior motive?" Theo added, feigning some kind of innocence as if the idea of him having an ulterior motive was unfounded.

"More than likely." Stiles nodded, again, bluntly.

"Would you believe me if I said all I want—" said Theo, "all I've ever wanted— is for you guys to trust me?"

"Nope." Stiles said looking at the smart-watch screen instead of Theo, pursing his lips as he shook his head.

"So—" Theo continued, "you're here because you're never going to trust me?"