Chapter 3

My body was moving on its own. I don't know where exactly I was going, but my mind couldn't stop thinking about what my dad said.

You've been gone for 5 years.

All I could think was how? How did I go missing for 5 years, yet not remember any of it? Who could have done this?

My mind surrounded these thoughts as I ran down the street. I suddenly found myself at the house of only person I thought of since I woke up.

I anxiously rang the doorbell, each passing second feeling like a year as I waited for the person to open the door. Then, the door swung open, and my fears became a reality.

"Oh my god, y/n?" Jared stared back at me with wide eyes. Here was Jared, but he looked 5 years older. His hair was cut short, and he definitely grew a few inches. He was sporting a small beard and he gained some muscle since I last saw him that fateful day. He looked so different.

I stared at him in disbelief, him returning the same gaze. Neither of us spoke for a second, trying to grasp what was currently happening. "Jared...." I was able to get out, suddenly realizing he was waiting for me to say something. We stared for a couple more seconds, until he moved away from the door, gesturing for me to enter. I hesitantly walked in, looking around his house. I was relieved to see that it hadn't really changed. It was refreshing to see something familiar after everything else in my life turned upside down.

I sat on his couch while he sat on the one across from me, folding his hands and leaning on his knees, staring intently.

"I thought I would never see you again," he stated, looking at me with that same wide look. I looked down, uneasy by his gaze, yet still felt more comfortable around him than I have felt since waking up.

"I'm not sure what happened, or how I came back, I just needed to see you," I said as I looked back up at him, his gaze never breaking from mine. "Jared, what happened? My parents couldn't tell me anything, all I know is I've been gone for 5 years. How is that even possible?" I needed answers. If my parents weren't going to give them to me, at least I could trust my boyfriend to tell me.

This was the moment he finally broke eye contact, looking down and fiddling with his hands. Oh no. That was his move he does when he's nervous, a move I knew all too well. He stood up and started walking towards the kitchen. "Can I get you anything to drink?" he started, never looking back at me. He was clearly avoiding telling me as well. I'm sick of everyone dancing around the subject.

I slammed my hands on the couch and instantly got up, stomping over and shutting the refrigerator door as he tried to open it. He looked down at me as I stared back at him, giving me a look, he knew what I was about to say.

"Jared, no more bullshit. I need answers. Now," I said, trying to keep my voice as even as possible without hinting I was on the verge of tears. He continued to look at me as he sighed, "Ok, I'll tell you what you want to know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few hours, he explained everything. Now I understood why no one was telling me anything, I wish I never knew in the first place.

Long story short, some purple guy named Thanos beat up the Avengers to get these magical stones. Next thing anyone knew, he snapped his fingers and half the population disappeared. I didn't want to believe what I was hearing, who in their right mind would do such a thing? It took the Avengers 5 years to figure out how to bring everyone back, and it looks like it must have worked since I was sitting here, listening to Jared explain everything. As for his parents, they died in a car crash a couple of years ago, which is how he inherited the house and still lives here.

Once he finished, we sat in silence for a few minutes as I attempted to process everything. It makes sense why he looked so much older, he never disappeared, he got to stay and live his life. Why was he worthy, and I wasn't? Finally, I looked up at him, and he stared at me with a look that said he didn't know what I was thinking.

Finally, I was able to quietly say, "So what does that mean for us?" I know it's a pathetic first thing to ask, especially after hearing how my life had just changed forever, but I didn't know what else to say. There are a million questions running through my head, most of them too complicated for Jared to answer, so it was the only thing I could think of. He sighed for what seemed like the millionth time this afternoon and began "Listen, y/n..." but was cut off by the door opening and someone yelling "Jared babe, I'm home!"

My heart dropped as I slowly turned to see the stranger enter the living room, suddenly wishing I never came here in the first place. I was met with the same surprised and shocked face of my former best friend, Emily. She looked between me and Jared, none of us saying a word. Then, she sprinted towards the couch as we embraced. I gave her the biggest hug I could muster, her squeezing me back as if I could disappear again at any moment.

As we let go, she looked at me and said "When did you get back?" I looked at her, then looked at Jared. I was so happy so see my best friend and boyfriend, but when the hell did this happen??

Ignoring her question, I looked at Jared and said, "When did this happen?"

They both looked at each other, neither knowing what to say. He once again sighed, met my eyes and said, "y/n, you've been gone for 5 years, you couldn't expect me to wait that long for you to come back."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared's a jerk. I had to get rid of him real quick lol

The chapters are going to vary in length. The shorter chapters are more fillers and I don't really know what to write for them. I'm not going to have a set release schedule either because I'm in grad school and it's really busy.

I'm sorry it's slow right now but there's the set up and backstory I have to get out of the way. Don't worry, we'll meet Spiderman soon:)

Let me know what you think!