Chapter 20

*TW: Possibly triggering scene*

    It was Saturday evening, and my parents were gone for the weekend, so I had MJ over getting ready for Flash's party. I was standing in front of my mirror, holding up two shirts to try and decide which one to wear. I grunted and threw them both on the growing pile of clothes on my floor as I couldn't figure out what to wear. This was my first party since coming back, and to say I was stressed out didn't even begin to cover what I was feeling. Luckily, MJ was here to keep me somewhat sane.

"I forgot how hard it was to pick out what to wear for these things," I said as I stomped back into my closet once again. MJ was chilling on my bed, scrolling through her phone. She was already ready, just waiting for my indecisive ass to pick out what to wear. She glanced up at me, "Who cares what you wear? Just pick something you're comfortable in. Who are you trying to impress, Flash?" she said with a smirk. I stuck my head out of my closet and rolled my eyes at her before continuing to look through each article of clothing I owned, nothing seeming to suffice. She sat up in my bed and leaned on one hand, continuing to look at me, "Or maybe Peter?" She said with a suggestive tone as she wriggled her eyebrows.

I tensed; I hadn't spoken to Peter since our fight yesterday. I was starting to think maybe he doesn't trust me as much as I thought, and that really hurt. I felt tears spring to my eyes, but I quickly shook them away. No, I'm not crying over this anymore than I have. If Peter doesn't trust me, then so be it. "Peter and I aren't meant to be any more than just friends," I said a little too coldly. MJ frowned, clearly surprised by my remark. I avoided her look as I moved deeper into my closet. "Did something happen between you two?" she said, I could hear her getting up from my bed.

I continued to move deeper into my closet, "I just misunderstood my relationship with Peter." I pulled out a dress and examined it as MJ crossed her arms and leaned against the doorway of my closet. She let out a slight chuckle, "What do you mean? I've never seen two people closer than you and Peter." I once again tensed and stared blankly at the dress. "I can tell he's hiding something from me, something big. I guess he just doesn't trust me as much as I thought he did," I sighed as I threw the dress on the floor and moved towards a leather skirt.

MJ gave me a sympathetic look, "Maybe he has his reasons for not telling you. Maybe he's just trying to protect you." I scoffed as I threw on a long sleeve shirt and began trying it on with the black leather skirt. "You're starting to sound like him," I said as I moved past her to go look at my outfit in the mirror. Content with it, I sat on the bench in front of my bed and began putting my shoes on. MJ moved from my closet and sat next to me. "Just, try talking to him. You guys are best friends and I hate seeing you like this. Peter too. Ned said he's been insufferable to be around all day," we both chuckled at the thought of happy go lucky Ned trying to cheer up a depressed Peter. I sighed as I stood up, "We'll see."

I walked over to the mirror and looked over my appearance once more time. I wore knee high heeled boots with a black leather mini skirt. I paired it with a thin, soft pink long sleeve top. My hair was curled and loosely framed my face and I put a little more makeup on than usual. MJ was right, I was comfortable, and I still felt hot. It was the beginning of December, so it was freezing outside. I'll just bring a thick jacket to wear until I get there. I turned to MJ who gave me a smile and a thumbs up.

"Ready to go?" she asked. I sighed, I wasn't ready to face Peter, but I couldn't avoid him forever. "Ready as I'll ever be," I said with a forced smile.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJ knocked on the door as we waited outside of Flash's house. We could hear the muffled music that was blaring inside and kids talking or yelling to hear each other. It sounded like the party was just getting into the swing of things. Flash opened the door with a huge grin on his face and a red solo cup in his other hand. "Y/n! MJ! Welcome to my humble abode. Please, come in!" We quickly entered to get out of the cold. We took off our jackets and hung them on the endless coat racks filled with other people's jackets.