Chapter 17 -The Game-

Sunday, March 13th 2005

After Jasper got dressed as well he drove my car with me to my house. It was starting to drizzle, so the car in front of us was misting my car's windshield till we pulled into the driveway. Bella's truck wasn't at the Cullen's house but they were talking to Alice and Jack.

So when I saw a familiar black truck I groaned. I looked at Jasper and said "Billy Black is here. Just take my car... drive around the block if He's still here, hang tight down the road... We can just stop by the station."

Jasper looked stern. "Jaz, let me deal with this, I don't want anything to happen to you over a treaty of families." I look up to him pleading with him to just listen. I don't want to be the cause of a fight. I think Bella would agree with this as well.

"Okay, Bella and Edward are supposed to be around in a bit," Jasper said pecking my cheek. I kissed his nose. I get out of the car with my purse, as Alice said I could just leave the clothes there. "I will see you in a bit. ok?" I stressed to him, that I was a little afraid to be the only one with them. 

"I will be here the moment they are gone, we'll go see charlie, and eat, then go play ball." I smiled and closed the door and watched him drive off. I rushed to the porch where Billy and Jacob were standing.

"Hey, Billy. Hi, Jacob." I greeted them shyly as I reached the top step. "Dad is gone for the day, you haven't been waiting too long, I hope."

"Not long," Billy said when Bella's truck pulled up. We looked over at her, she and Edward had a quick conversation when they both got out, Bella half running up here. 

"Hey, Billy. Hi, Jacob."She greeted cheerfully, well a bit too cheerful. It seemed forced so I looked back at Billy. His eyes were piercing black. 

"I just wanted to bring this up." He indicated a brown paper sack in his lap. "Thanks," Bella said, we both wondered what was in the decently large sack. "Would you like to come inside and dry off?" Bella offered, and went and opened the door and waved them in, I gave Edward a look of slight fear and thought this wasn't the first time. Then went in behind Jacob.

"Here let me take that." I offered to give myself some space while Bella lead the conversation as per usual. She stayed in the living room while I went over to the kitchen and place everything in the fridge. I closed the door of the fridge as I hear the front door open and close quickly. I walked back to the living room to hear Billy say "Charlie is one of my best friends."

"Yes."

He spoke carefully in his rumbling voice. "I noticed that you two have been spending time with the Cullens."

"Yes," Bella replied curtly.

He narrowed his eyes at us and said "Maybe it's none of my business, but I  don't think that is such a good idea."

That's when I piped in, "You're right," I agreed. "It IS none of your business." Based on Bella's face I stole her words right out of her mouth. She nodded in agreement. He raised his greying eyebrows at my tone.

"You probably don't know this, but the Cullen family has an unpleasant reputation on the reservation."

This time Bella stole my thoughts and said "Actually, We did know that," She informed him in a hard voice. making me think, please kindly piss off old man. Billy looked at her surprised.

"But that reputation couldn't be deserved, could it?" I started, Bella took her turn to defend by saying "Because the Cullen's never set a foot on the reservation, do they?" It was clear that the remainder of our less than subtle reminder pulled him up short and reminded him of his treaty, that both bound and protected his tribe put him at a stunt.