Chapter 12 -Uncomfortable Staring-

I looked at Bella as She came in and she looked a bit worried and then Dad, Billy, and Jacob Came in and I looked at them with a bright smile and Billy gave a certain quick look that was instantly interrupted by Dad.

"This is a surprise," Dad said, though he was smiling 

"It's been too long," Billy answered. "I hope it's not a bad time." His dark eyes flashed up to Bella his expression unreadable and then he threw a glance at me.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game."

Jacob grinned. "I think that's the plan--our TV broke last week."

Billy made a face at his son. "And, of course, Jacob was anxious to see Bella again," he added. Jacob scowled and ducked his head while I smirked at Bella, who looked remorseful. She apparently was very convincing on the beach.

"Are you hungry?" Bella asked turning to the kitchen and I followed her. "Naw, we ate just before we came," Jacob answered. 

"How about you, Charlie?" Bella called making me cringe. She fled around the corner.

"Sure," Dad replied, his voice seemed like it was moving in the direction of the front room and the TV. You could hear Billy's chair follow the sound. 

I sat at the table as Bella started making grilled sandwiches, I helped by slicing the tomato when Jacob came in and walked up to Bella. "So, how are things?" Jacob asked.

"Pretty good." She smiled "It's been good for me as well." I add then Bella asked "How about you? Did you finish your car?" 

"No." he frowned. " I still need parts. We borrowed that one." he pointed towards the front yard.

"Sorry. I haven't seen any... what was it your looking for?" 

"master cylinder." He grinned "Is there something wrong with the truck?" He asked her suddenly.

"No."

"Oh. I was just wondering because you weren't driving it."

She stared down at the pan, pulling up the edge of the sandwich to check the bottom side.  "I got a ride with a friend."

"Nice ride." Jacob's voice was admiring. "I didn't recognize the driver, though. I thought I knew most of the kids around here." 

Bella nodded, keeping her eyes down as she flipped the sandwiches.

"My dad seemed to know him from somewhere."

"Jacob, could you hand me some plates? They're in the cupboard over the sink." Bella asked I move the tomato slices to her and then sat at the table.

"Sure."

He got the plates in silence. It seemed like the conversation was dropped.

"So who was it?" he asked

Bella sighed and said "Edward Cullen, and the passenger was Jasper, his brother."

To both of our surprise, he laughed. We glance up at him in scenic He looked embarrassed. "Guess that explains it then," He said. "I wondered why my dad was acting so strange."

"That's right." Bella said with an innocent expression "He doesn't like the Cullens." I tried to hold back a snicker as I knew that Bella didn't forget.

"Superstitious old man," Jacob muttered under his breath.

"You don't think he'd say anything to Charlie?" Bella asked Jacob. Jacob stared at Bella for a moment, I couldn't read his expression. "I doubt it," He finally answered. "I think Charlie chewed him out pretty good, last time. They haven't spoken much since--tonight is kinda a reunion, I think. I don't think he'd bring it up again."