Chapter 36 Not Yet

Sunday morning Izanami was the first to wake up, or so she thought.

"Why are you always the first one up, Dabi?" She asked quietly as she watched him go to make a second cup of coffee after he saw her enter the kitchen.

"Habit, and lord knows I have a hard time breaking 'em" he sighed lowly. "I mean usually, I would go back to bed but it's hard to sleep in a dog pile" he said, handing her a cup of coffee. He preferred the couch but he'd always ended up falling asleep watching TV or playing video games.

Izanami watched him take a seat at the table, his shoulders slumping as he tried to get a crick out of his neck. She casted a glance at Shigaraki and Twice before she set her glass aside and stood behind him. "Here" she whispered, putting just barely glowing hands on his shoulders, massaging at them. "Tomorrow we'll start looking at houses and maybe you'll sleep better in your own room" she said softly.

Bravely, Dabi tilted his head back to meet her eyes, "maybe" he mumbled.

Izanami stared back at him with a small smile and even braver, she moved her hand to caress his cheek. Dabi swallowed thickly before shutting his eyes, forcing his head forward and clearing his throat. Izanami's smile remained because she knew he was just embarrassed. She would've giggled too if not for the fact that he would've been pouty about it.

She removed her hands from his shoulders and slid into the seat next to him. "Are you gunna come grocery shopping with us later?" She asked before she took a sip of her coffee.

"Yeah, I needa pick something up" he said before taking a quick sip of his own.

"What?" She asked, putting her glass down. He rarely got specific things and she was curious.

"Don't you dare fucken laugh" Dabi warned.

Izanami sat up as her curiosity heightened.

"I need hair dye, my hair is growing out and I'd rather it not" he grumbled down at his coffee to avoid looking at her.

Izanami's eyes widened the tiniest bit before she moved closer to inspect his hair. She brushed her fingers through it and sure enough, white roots.

"Could be worst" she smiled, sitting back, "could've been red"

"It was" Dabi scoffed. "Turned white when my quirk started screwing me over" he said, glaring at his scarred arms.

"Hey" Izanami said gently reaching for him, "I could-"

"No" Dabi said all to quickly. "I mean, not yet" He didn't even wanna hear her ask. He already knew what she was gunna say. He wasn't ready. He already hated seeing his semi cleared face, seeing his father's eyes and his mother's features. He would look too normal and he didn't feel normal. And what if he just messed himself up again? No. He wasn't ready. There was no way of knowing he could be normal for her yet.

"Okay" Izanami nodded, retracting her hands, pulling away from him. "Okay" she smiled in understanding.

They sat there silently until Toga and Chizue came out of the bedroom. "Good morning" she mumbled, serving Chizue her breakfast.

"Good morning sunshine" Izanami smiled happily. "Is there anything you wanna do today other than grocery shopping?" She asked before finishing the last of her coffee.

Toga thought for a minute then shook her head, "nope." She took a seat in front of them before remember something, "oh, hey! Noya never came over"

Dabi's jealous frown didn't go unnoticed and Toga wasn't afraid to admit that she did it on purpose.