Chapter 28

"ETHAN!!!" I yell into my phone. Staring at the screen as Ethan changes his shirt.

"What?" Ethan asks, turning fully to me, still shirtless.

Ethan doesn't have a six pack, doesn't have any packs, but he doesn't need any. He's still extremely hot. He may look like a little stick boy, but I know he's actually quite strong. Even though he doesn't appear to have any muscles.

"Zoey, stop checking me out and answer my question." Ethan says.

I roll my eyes, hoping he can't see my blush through the screens. "Don't change on the video chat."

"Why?"

"Because it's weird." I say like it's obvious, since it is.

"Psh, best friends change in front of each other all the time." Ethan says then grabs a shirt and pulls it on over his head. I know I said Ethan doesn't have a six pack, but that doesn't mean seeing him shirtless doesn't turn me on, because it does.

Why am I getting turned on by my best friend?

I shake my head. "So, you still up for helping me with my homework?" I ask. Ethan's been helping me out with all my overdue assignments for the past week or so.

"Depends, have you talked with your mom yet?" Ethan asks raising his eyebrows as he grabs his phone off of his dresser and flops onto his bed.

"I have actually." I say grinning.

"Really? So did she tell you what I've been telling you this whole time?"

"She told me that I can sleepover at your house this weekend." I say smiling sheepishly.

"Oh my gosh Zoey! I meant about the thing!" Ethan groans. "Did you talk to your mom about.... The thing?"

"Oh.... No."

Ethan sighs in frustration. "Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to hang up, and call back in three hours. If you haven't talked to your mom, we won't be friends anymore."

"That's not fair Ethan!" I whine pouting.

"You should've thought about that earlier. Bye sunflower."

Ethan hangs up before I can say anything, so I cuss him out under my breath as I get off my bed and drag my feet to my mom's bedroom.

Stupid Ethan and being so caring! He irritates me so much!! Yet, he's so attractive when he's irritating me.

Why do I keep thinking about how hot and attractive Ethan is? He's literally my best friend.... My smexy best friend.

I shake my head majorly confused with my thoughts.

I knock harshly on my mom's bedroom door twice. Waiting for my mom to knock an answer back.

I hear two knocks back, her way of saying to come in. I open her bedroom door seeing my mom sitting in bed with a book in her hands.

"We need to talk." I say signing and walk up to the bed. I might as well get this over with, because then I can call Ethan back. And maybe even convince him to take me to get fast food for being a good girl for him.

That came out weird, yet I don't mind being a good girl for him...... What am I even thinking?! Ethan's my best friend for Pete's sake!

"I feel like it's my fault you tried killing yourself. Like if I was a better daughter you wouldn't be so disappointed in me, and wouldn't feel the need to try ending your life." I say getting right to the point. No Point beating around the bush or sugarcoating.

Mom immediately tears up, and it looks like she's trying really hard not to lose it.

"Do you really think that Zoey?" She sets her book down, and sits up more.

"I mean yeah. I was a really bad kid, still am I guess. I can't help but think sometimes you tried killing your self because I was too much to handle."

Mom doesn't bother to try keeping her tears in anymore, she lets herself cry freely, and it honestly hurts seeing her cry. Especially knowing that she's crying because of me, she wasn't crying before I showed up.

"It was never ever because of you Zoey." Mom croaks out, wiping her streaming tears with the back of her hand, but it did basically nothing because more tears came. "I genuinely don't even remember what was going through my mind at that moment, but it was never because of you. Never ever. I swear it Zoey. Please don't think it's your fault hunny. I wish I could just go back and undo everything because I regret doing it."

"And how do I know your not lying? How do I know it really wasn't because of me?" Mom might have just said that because she felt bad.

That's when mom lets out a heart wrenching sob, a pure cry of literal pain. "Why would I do that Zoey? Why would I try killing myself because of you? I love you Zoey! I would rather die a slow painful death than kill myself because of one of my kids. And I'm sorry I ruined things for us, but I did not do what I did because of you."

Ok, I believe mom now. Why? Because I've never seen mom cry like this, never seen her so desperate to make me believe something. She's telling the truth, there's no doubts now.

I clear my throat, standing by mom's bed as she still cries.

"I believe you mom. I'm sorry I made you cry. I love you." I say softly, making sure to show her how I felt through my signs.

With that I leave mom's bedroom, seeing dad leaning against the wall right opposite the bedroom door.

"Zoey, what's wrong? Why is Keely crying like that?" Dad asks looking through the cracked bedroom door.

"I just talked to mom. I didn't mean for her to cry, I swear it. I just needed to know she didn't try killing herself because of me." I whisper the last sentence, not really wanting dad to hear it.

"Your fault?" Oh great, he did hear it. Darn. "Zoey it wasn't you."

I shrug. "I know that now."

"Have you thought it was your fault this whole time?" He asks, turning his full attention on me.

"Kind of. But it's fine now, mom told me it wasn't me. I love you dad. Also you should probably go like, make mom stop crying. I don't like seeing her cry."

Dad nods. "If you ever need to talk, im here sweetie."

"I know."

Dad goes into their bedroom, shutting the door behind him. So I go to my bedroom, flopping onto my bed. I'm gonna wait a minute before calling Ethan back.