Chapter 36

Dad grabs my arm before I can start running again. "Calm down Zoe." He chuckles.

"Sorry. I'm just so excited! I can't wait to see the look on his face!" I bounce up and down as dad and I walk. Dad shushes me as we go to the back of Ethan's grandparents house. I see Darcy and she leads us inside.

"Hi guys!" Darcy whispers. She hugs me, and then hugs dad too. "He wouldn't stop telling us all he wanted for his birthday was Zoey to be here. It's cute and adorable, yet extremely annoying. Anyway, I'm so happy! He's not gonna know what hit him."

Darcy leads us to the living room of the house. Apparently Ethan's napping, so we're just going to wait for him to wake up and we'll surprise sleepy Ethan.

My phone buzzes, and I pick it up seeing Ethan.

"Zoey, I'm hurt. You haven't called to say happy birthday yet." Ethan's voice says, a bit sleepily.

"Did you just wake up?" I ask.

"Yeah, I took like a ten minute nap, and then called out the minute I woke up. I miss you."

"I miss you too Ethan." I say grinning.

"I love being here, but I want to be with you more."

I snort. "Ethan, it hasn't even been a full week since you left."

"Yeah. But what am I without my sunflower? Who else is going to call me a dork in the most loving way? Leo calls me a dork but he's a bitch."

I laugh quietly. "Leo's not that bad."

"Um, yes he is. Have you met him?"

"Yes. Multiple times." I say rolling my eyes.

Ethan's silent for a bit. "I really really like you Zoey."

"I know. I really really like you too."

"I don't want to sound like a self conceited bratty guy, but you still haven't wished me a happy birthday."

"I know. I'm doing it on purpose." I say, biting my lip as I smile. "I want to tell you in person."

"Dammit. Guess I won't hear it on my actual birthday. Whatever."

"Wanna FaceTime?" I suggest. Maybe he'll notice I'm at his grandparents house.

"Sure."

Ethan hangs up, and then I get a FaceTime request. So I accept it and smile at Ethan's sleepy face.

"You look beautiful." Ethan says smiling lazily at me.

"You look beautiful too." I giggle. Is he going to realize I'm here with him? "Oh, say hi to my dad!"

I shove my phone in front of dad's face and he smiles. "Hi Ethan."

"Hi Riley."

I pull the phone out of dad's face and grin coming up with an idea.

I get up, and signed to dad asking where Ethan's room was. He whispers to Darcy, and she leads me the way.

"Where are you? That's not your house."

I hold in a snicker. "Huh? What do you mean?"

"Zoey, don't play games. You're a bad liar. Where are you?"

I'm now standing outside the room he's in. Ready to walk in any second.

"Fine, you catch me. I'm at your grandparents house in Canada." I say grinning.

"Don't play games with me." Ethan says pouring.

"I'm not. We both know I'm a bad liar." I say shaking my head as I smile wider.

"Wait what?" Ethan sits up in his bed and looks at me. "Are you for reals?"

"I don't know, am I?"

Ethan suddenly drops his phone and not even a second later he's thrown open the bedroom door, and he's hugging me.

"Oh my gosh Zoey! What are you doing here?!"

"Surprising you dork. Happy birthday Ethan." I laugh into Ethan's chest.

"Did you drive all the way up here?!"

I nod. "Yeah. We had to leave yesterday to get here today."

Ethan pulls me back in for another hug. "Gosh, best birthday gift ever!"

I giggle, Ethan's cute.

Ethan pulls me back of his chest. "How long are you here for?"

"All of today and tomorrow. Dad's gonna get a ride with your parents and Leo, Vance, you, and I are gonna ride back in dad's car."

"Awesome! All the kids in the fun V!"

"The fun V?" I question.

"Fun Vehicle. Duh. Keep up dork."

"Hey!" I gently slap Ethan's arm. "You're the dork."

Ethan rolls his eyes, then hugs me again. "I'm really happy you're here. And you know what else we can do now that we're in person?"

"What?"

"Celebrate your mom having twins!" Ethan says, and then grabs my hands jumping up and down. "I'm so happy for you Zoey!"

"I'm happy for me too!" I say jumping up and down with Ethan as he squeals.

"Twins!! Two babies! You can dress them up all matchies!! And be the most bestest big sister to them!"

I laugh and wrap my arms Ethan. "I can't believe it Ethan. Two baby siblings!"

"I know. I'll have you know I'll probably be at your house 24/7 once your mom has the babies. I love babies! Probably the mother side of me."

I squish Ethan cheeks together. "I love your mother side. You'll be a great mom." 

"Thanks. I try."

I kiss Ethan and then pull him out to the family room where the rest of his family is.

"Zoey?!! What are you doing here?!" Leo yells and comes giving me a hug.

"Dude, you were just talking with my dad. You couldn't have figured out I was here?"

Leo looks at me then my dad and back at me. "You know, I never put two and two together. Honestly I didn't even realize your dad magically showed up at my grandparents house in Canada. I was more interested in the maker of you."

I grin. "Sounds just like you."

I noticed how Leo called my dad my maker of me. But he's not. We aren't related in any way other than his marriage to mom and how he adopted me to get rid of my previous last name for some reason.

"Let's open presents now!" Darcy says and pulls Ethan into a chair in front of all the couches, in front of everyone. So I go sit in between Leo and Vance. My two buddies.

'Zoey, I'm happy you're here.' Vance signs to me. 'You're awesome!'

"Thanks man." I say grinning. I'm glad Ethan's family likes me. Especially since I'm now dating him. Before I didn't care too much because we were just friends, now I'm not just his friend. I'm his girlfriend.

*****
Hey tic tacs

😏