Chapter 38

TW: Mentions of rape

I left mom and dad alone last night, but they can't hide from me now. I've already driven Max and Clara to grandma and grandpa's, meaning I can be as loud as I want. I went back to that article, reading more of it. I am 99% sure that's where I came from. A rape.

I walk up to the kitchen table, where my parents seem to be having an important conversation, but I don't fucking care. I want answers, and I want them now.

Last night, I went to the library, and borrowed a copy of the newspaper, with who I believe my birth father is, on the front page. This newspaper has the same article I read yesterday.

Dropping the newspaper down on the table, I cross my arms, waiting for an answer.

Dad clears his throat. "Where'd you get that Zoe?"

"What does it matter? Page 3, read it."

Dad cautiously grabs the newspaper, flipping to page 3, silently reading. After a few seconds, dad looks up to me. "Why am I reading this Zoey?"

"Why the fuck do you think?!" I yell. If that man is really who I think it is, that means my parents kept the fact that I'm the offspring of a rape from me my whole life. That changes a lot of my life. It changes everything. That's not something you keep from your daughter. "That's him isn't it? My birth dad? Kyle Prescott, or otherwise known as Kai?"

"Zoey, why don't you sit down." Dad says calmly.

"No, I will not sit down! I want fucking answers! That's mom, my uncles, grandma, and grandpa, right?!"

"Zoey, I said you should sit." Dad repeats, slightly less calm this time.

"No! Not until you tell me the truth! Is that man," I point to the picture of Kyle, "my birth father?! I deserve answers, don't I?"

Don't I deserve at least that much? Or do I get the right to deserve anything? I mean how could mom want me? She only kept me because we believe in raising children and not sending them off to heaven or to foster care. I shouldn't be here. Mom should've aborted me. Things would've been better then.

"Zoey,"

"Yes or no!" I yell over dad, cutting him off. I don't have time for this. I just want answers.

"Yes." Dad whispers. "That is your birth dad."

I stand up straight. "I knew it. I fucking knew it." I run a hand through my hair. "When were you or mom gonna tell me?"

"I would appreciate it if you two could use sign language, I dislike being left in the dark. Especially about this." Mom speaks up, I however glare at her.

"How do you think I feel?! Being left in the dark almost 17 years of my life!"

Mom can only hold eye contact with me for a second before she can't even bare to look at me.

Dad stands up, walking towards me. "Zoey, your mother and I were going to tell you. We were going to tell you, then Matthew got sick, and everything went downhill from there. We needed you in a mentally and physically stable place before telling you something like this."

I roll my eyes. Excuses excuses.

"Mom should've aborted me. You both know it." I need to go on a walk. A very very long walk. Possibly never come back. What type of parents keep something like that from their kid?

Dad follows after me, calling my name, trying to get me to come back. Do I? No. I speed up, and when dad does too, I end up full on sprinting down the road. I want to get away from them right now. I can't handle looking at them, because it reminds me how I shouldn't even be here right now.