Ch.3: Dinner

I feel someone nudging me to awake. I groggily open my eyes to be met with a pair of blue ones. "Katniss, Do you still want to eat dinner? It's probably cold by now." he asks swiping his ash blonde curls out of his face. I nod and rub my red and puffy eyes. He stands up with only slight trouble because of the prosthetic leg. I stand up then kneel down and place a hand on Prim's grave. I then look up to the sky and notice that is beginning to get dark. I feel Peeta's hand grazing softly over my back to comfort me.

"We should go." I say as he begins to walk in agreement. "I will just heat up the food. Plus I have a surprise for you." he says. My heart thumps so loudly I'm sure even the Mockingjays could hear it. I just kept thinking about the surprise. Is it something big or something small? What if he asks me out? I don't know if I'm ready for that yet. I want to be, but I'm just not.

We arrive at his house and I notice that he planted Primroses at my house. My heart yearns for my two braided little duck. We walk in and the smell of food still lingers in the air. Peeta's house is tidy except for the hallway which is a clutter of papers. I sit down at the dinner table as Peeta warms up the stew and turns the oven on a low temperature. My stomach aches with anticipation of all the things that could happen.

"The food should be done in just a minute." he says. "Have you drawn anything lately?" I ask to make conversation. He nods,"Everything. I just paint everything that pops in my brain. Sometimes that's the only release it has." he says. "Would you um.. like to see them?" he asks standing up. "Sure." I say not knowing what to expect.

We go upstairs and take a right. I see a room with a few papers lying on the floor. I see pictures on painted canvases. I get a shock when some are of me. I see a painting of us in the cave, before we split in the quell, and more. There's a picture of me with my hair down and I run my fingers down the carefully and easily painted lines. "I used that image in my head while they were doing my treatment." he says and my heart softens. "What'd they say about the flash backs." I ask my eyes glued on the picture. "They should be gone except for every once in a while." he states. "I think dinner is warm again." he says changing the subject.

I sit down at the table as Peeta brings over two bowls of delicious smelling lamb stew. "Surprise!" he says taking cheese buns out of the oven and sets them on the table. My heart drops because I thought it would be something more, but I manage a smile. He eventually sits down and we dig in. "Peeta this is wonderful! Thank you." I say reaching for a cheese bun. He grabs my hand before I can though. I look up at his eyes in confusion. They are turning a dark blue-black.

"Where do you think you're going Mutt?" he says. "You killed my family! You're just a freaking mutt! I loved a Mutt!" he screams slowly turning my wrist. I try to run but I can't since I'm still fragile from barely eating or doing anything. Tears swarm down my face as I look at the boy I love suddenly hating me. I am a mutt. I killed his family. Everything he says is true. I see black spots starting to cloud my vision. I hear the snap of my wrist bone just as it all fades to black.