Ch.16: Explain

I dread the moment Finn falls asleep because I know Peeta's going to try to talk to me about this whole thing. The moment finally comes when Finn's eyes close and his breathing steadily flows in and out of his mouth. Peeta stands up with Finn in his arms and takes him into the room. When he comes back down, I know what to be prepared for.

When he makes it back down the steps, he gives a big sigh. I try to pretend I'm asleep and I hear a soft chuckle under Peeta's breath. "Katniss, I know you aren't asleep." He says. I give up and open my eyes and fold my arms. "So, what?" I say. "So, we have to talk about this. They told me we have to do a lot of paperwork, and get the adoption finalized, and what was up with your attitude this morning." he replies. "You know I never wanted kids, Peeta!" I say throwing up my arms. "Katniss, he has no one." He says. This makes my heart sink a little. "I just, I'm worried I wont be a good mother. I feel like I've failed everyone. I killed practically everyone that mattered except you. I don't want to mess up. I live in a constant fear that I'll hurt everyone and everything. I'm destructive." I say breaking down to tears. God, I hate moments like this. Seconds later, I'm wrapped in the strong and loving arms of Peeta. I take in his scent and for some reason this makes me cry even harder. "Katniss, you are a wonderful person, you aren't going to mess up. You took care of Prim, even if that meant you going without, you are going to be a wonderful mother. You didn't kill anyone, Snow did, but you did save a lot of people, and he's gone now and I'm not going to let anything happen to you or Finn. Technically, you aren't his mother and to him, you're his aunt and he loves you with all his heart. Both of his parents are gone, we have to do this for him." He says. I nod into his chest.  

"Let's go to sleep. You're tired." He says and carries me bridal style upstairs. Peeta and I lie in bed, separated by Finn. In the middle of a restless sleep, Finn cuddles into me just like I do to Peeta. I gradually fall into a deeper sleep with my arms wrapped around Finn.