Ch. 25: Remember Me

"Katniss, look I know I left you and I shouldn't have. I'm the cause of all of this." Peeta says but before I can cut him off he drops to one knee. "Katniss, I never should've let you go and I never will. You have completed me and not knowing if you were ever going to know how much I loved you killed me, so please, stay with me?" He says showing me a ring that has a new pearl on it, since my promise ring has the one from the 75 Hunger Games, and engraved on the inside it says "always." So many emotions are going through me that I just nod and say always as tears roll down my cheeks. Peeta picks me up after sliding the ring on my finger and kisses me so genuinely that I melt in his arms.

The same hunger from the beach fills me. I love Peeta. I deepen the kiss. Eventually, we end up in the bedroom. Peeta gets a little weary. "Katniss, are you sure you want to do...." he say but I cut him off. "I love you." I say. 

The rest of that night went by in a blur, but I woke up this morning feeling happier than ever before. I'm engaged to the love of my life. I feel like I should tell everyone, but I just want somethings to be just between Peeta and I, but this is a big deal so I'm not sure. 

Peeta had to work today so I decide it's a good time to go hunting. I slip into my boots and grab a bite of bread out of the oven so I don't get too hungry. When I make it to the woods I see the nightlock berries that I almost killed myself with. I hate Snow. I can't even hunt in peace without being reminded of him. It's like he's stripped everything that's good from the world and made it reminiscent of him. 

I decide on going back to the bakery instead of angering myself. When I walk into the bakery, I am comforted with the familiar smell of bread. Peeta is talking to an elderly woman who is buying a cake. She doesn't notice me until she turns around to leave the store. "Hello, Katniss." She smiles. "Hello." I say with a faint smile. "That's a beautiful ring." She adds before leaving the store. I turn a ghostly white. Peeta laughs, "Katniss, it's okay. It's not like it's a secret or anything. I would shout my love for you from a skyscraper, but when I did I just happened to be on mandatory television." 

He always knows the right thing to say. 

A/N sorry for the short chapter AND REALLY LONG TIME I WAITED TO UPDATE I AM SORRY OKAY. I'm out of school for summer though so expect more updates :)