Ch.4: Don't Be

I wake up with a shock. I don't remember being carried into bed and this is definitely not my bed. For one this bed has clean sheets. "Peeta?" I call when I look out the window and notice it's cracked. Peeta must've been in here. I hear footsteps steadily climbing up to the room I'm in. A few hair strands are in my face but I can't move them with my right hand because of a bulky cast covering my wrist/arm.

"Good morning, Honey." I hear someone say. I look over and notice my mom standing there with a pitcher of water and a glass. I stare at her questioning why she's here. Seeing her reminds me of Prim making my eyes water only to begin the inevitable breakdown. "Katniss, it's okay." I stare at her once more, but this time with frustration. "It's okay? It's not okay! My little sister is dead! My Prim is dead! And it's all because of me! So don't you dare say it's okay!" I yell at her. "Katniss, I-" she begins. "It's not like you care anyway." I spat out. "I do care! I do, Katniss. You obviously don't want me here! I'm only here to help you until Peeta gets back from the bakery." she says. While looking out the window I say, "Well, next time, get Greasy Sae to do it." I hear glass on wood and figured she put a glass of water beside me.. "Well, I'll be leaving then." she says with tears in her eyes. "Mom, I love you." I say. She nods and walks away. Not long after I hear the door shut only to hear it open again. "Mom?" I call. "Nope." I hear the voice of my old friend Madge. She walks into the door way with her arm wrapped around a blonde girl with bluish-green eyes who was a little shorter than her, but not by much. Madge comes over to the bed and hugs me. The blonde clears her throat, "I'm Kathryn. We've figured out that we're sisters. Apparently her mom would always get headaches and use morphling. Whenever she'd go get it, she'd spend time with my dad and one thing led to another." she laughs.

I cock an eyebrow then laugh. "I'm Katniss." I say. "Oh, I know. Who doesn't?" she says. I look out the window once more for what feels like the millionth time. "Well, we've got to go but I'll see you maybe tomorrow?" I nod, "yeah maybe." I smile. "Nice meeting you." she says the same and then they leave.

____________________________________________________

About an hour later Peeta gets home. He walks up the stairs and comes and sits on the edge of the bed. My lips are barely forming his name when he cuts me off. "Katniss, I am so so so so sorry. You don't deserve this! I don't deserve you. You deserve someone-" I cut him off by pressing my lips against his. At first he jerks back but never breaking the kiss, but eventually he just kisses back. "Katniss I-" he starts. "Peeta, don't be sorry. It's not you." He nods but I can see the guilt and blame in his eyes. "I'm going to go make dinner."