Ch.8: Star Crossed

I lie on Peeta's chest listening to his heartbeat when a thought occurs to me. "Peeta, Can we go see Haymitch?" I ask. "Yeah, If that's what you want." He says. I look into his eyes and give him a peck on his chin. He grins in satisfaction.

We walk out the door and over to Haymitch's. A goose comes over and pecks at me... if only I had my damn bow and arrow... We knock on the door and when no one answers it, I eventually just open it. It smells like a dead dog that's been lying outside on the street for several days in the middle of the summer months.

"Haymitch?" I call for Haymitch. I barely notice that Peeta slipped his strong hands into mine, but when I do, It sends shivers down my spine and my stomach has tingles galore.

I walk over to Haymitch's room to find him knocked out on his bed. I can't blame him really, but I want to tell him about Peeta and I. I shake him then stand against the wall waiting for his attack. Instead, he groggily rubs his eyes and looks up at Peeta and I. "What?" He asks. I lift up Peeta's and my hands. He nods then closes his eyes.

"I'm proud of you sweetheart." He says and then Peeta and I leave clearly noticing that Haymitch doesn't really mind whether we are there or not. I think it's time I start staying at my house. My cast is gone thank goodness, but I don't want to leave Peeta and even I know that it's too early to move in together. I want to though.

"I'm going to go to my house for a moment okay? You want to come?" I ask. "No, I'm going to head down to the bakery. If that's fine with you." He finishes. "Yeah." He nods his eyes wanting to say he loves me but he can't seem to get it out. Which I'm kind of glad because I know that no matter how deeply I am in love with him. I Wont be able to say it.

I go into my house and I barely make it up the stairs when their is a knock on the door. Maybe Peeta's going to say it. That he does love me, even though I know he does. "Come in." I yell too lazy to walk back downstairs. My bedroom door cracks open and I turn around to see a smiling Johanna. "Hey, Brainless. Next time, You might want to check who it is. I could've been a psycho killer!" She says hugging me. "You mean Gale?" She gives me a sour look from the bitterness of my comment but, I mean, it's true.