Chapter 26: Archon Vs Outlander

3rd POV

The Outlander and the Archon both pointed their blades at each other before engaging in a duel that both of them will only remember.

Yap: [Rushing forward straight to her probably isn't a very good idea..]

Timeskip because there has been too much schwing schwing lately and the result is Ei won. Done. Happy?

Yap: (panting) [Of course.. I might be strong but there's no way I could rival an Archon's strength and raw power.] Just within expectations..

Ei: Your expectations must've been rather low then. From that sparring session earlier, I could tell you weren't too alert when attacks are coming from your sides or your back. If you'd like, I could train you-

Yap: Deal.

Ei: That quickly? I haven't even told you what needs to be done..

Yap: A warrior must be strong physically and mentally. Only in battle can I become stronger both physically and mentally as it brings me some sort of reassurance. 

Ei: I see. So you believe when in battle, you're taking the opportunity to not only strengthen yourself physically but also to retain a clear head with only the objective in mind. Interesting.

Yap: (nods) Once I've recovered, then we may start the training session.

Ei: I see your determination to keep getting stronger and better than your opponent. If I may ask, why is that so?

Yap: Trust sometimes can only be earned while fighting against your opponent, Ei. (Stands up, now recovered) I trust that you know the reason behind what I've just said.

Ei: It seems in order to earn your trust, I'll not only be your mentor, but also as a sparring partner as well. Well then, it seems you're ready to go again. Shall we?

Yap: (nods) 

Ei: As said earlier, you're not too alert when attacks are coming from your sides. Let's start from there. Do not turn around to face me to block or redirect my attacks. Instead, try using your mind to "see" through my attacks. Then, block or redirect them accordingly.

Yap then stood at one position, closing his eyes and focusing on Ei's movements while Ei circled around him slowly before stopping at his side and attacked him.

When her blade was about to strike him, Yap reacted accordingly by switching his sword to his hand the direction Ei was coming from and blocked. Both were equally shocked as they didn't expect Yap to react that fast.

Ei: [He... He reacts rather fast.] 

A small smile forms on her face, confident this would be finished faster than she thought.

Yap: [... By sheer reflex alone..? Impossible.. I'll need to try again. This time, with my eyes open so I can properly "see" how I managed to block it. Afterwards, keep trying a few more times to make it more.. natural.] Ei.

Ei: Hmm?

Yap: Do that again... and keep continuing. I need to "see" this reaction for myself.

Ei: Alright. The speed of your reaction earlier was rather astonishing. Indeed, I myself do want to see it a few more times to familiarize myself with it. Even Aether wasn't able to react that quickly as you did.

Yap: ... (short nod to show Ei he understands what he's talking about) 

Guizhong: That speed of reaction... I was right indeed. He is no ordinary mortal alright..

Tempest: (Peeking out from the bag) "Peek-a-boo!" 

They both then continued their training with Yap now seeing her attacks and blocking it in time.