Chapter 59: Hyakkiyakou

Welcome back to this fanfic written by a clown who did an extremely horrible life choice.

Allie: All, if not most of your life choices were terrible to begin with.

Author: ...You've a point, Allie. As such, I'll make no further argument against that and will leave it just as it is.

3rd POV

Aether: [We were going to be dragged into Miko's trouble one way or another.] (Mentally sighs) Come on, Paimon. We still gotta earn our paychecks.

Paimon: Yeah..

Exiting the facility, Yae Miko told them to meet her at Grand Narukami Shrine later.

Eula: You're alright, right?

Yap: (nods) Of course, Eula. Still, it shouldn't affect me too much.

Eula: ...Alright. But I'll continue keeping an eye on you, just in case.

Yap only nods, thankful for Eula's reassurance and caution.

At the Grand Narukami Shrine later...

Yae Miko: Well hello there, my little helpers, so nice of you to join me. You're right on time, too.

Paimon: Hmph, as if we had a choice. We just want our paychecks. So, Miko, what exactly do we have to do to make this Hyakkiyakou happen? Also, to be clear, we actually have no idea what it even means.

Yae Miko: It might sound ominous, but to put it simply, the Hyakkiyakou is just a gathering of the youkai. Back in the day, at youkai gatherings, once everyone had had plenty to drink, one by one they'd start soaring into the sky with their youkai powers. There were so many of them that their silhouettes would block out the moon. But now, the youkai memories that leak from the Ley Lines are weak. They are no longer able to fly. So, I will be performing a convocation ritual for them, gathering all the wandering memories together in one place. When the time comes, they will gather in the sky above the Grand Narukami Shrine. Once their energy is spent, they will be satisfied, and return to where they belong.

Aether: I see. I understand.

Yap: Hmm.. Intriguing.

Yae Miko: All the preparations for the ritual have actually been made well in advance. Remember the incantation and the mention of "moonless night" that I added to our novel?

Paimon: Oh yeah, something about reciting "The Secret Spells of Lady Kitsune" on a moonless night. 

Yae Miko: That's the one. Actually, it's not a wish-granting incantation at all. It's a spell to help calm the Ley Line memories. When that time comes, let's all pitch in and help send them on their way!

Yap and Aether: What will/do you need from us?

Yae Miko: I will start the ritual preparations shortly, and at that time, I need you to do two things; First, tell the shrine maidens to leave the mountain. During the Hyakkiyakou, a whole swarm of youkai memories will be hanging around in the air above the Grand Narukami Shrine. Having the shrine maidens leave avoids the bothersome issue of someone potentially getting possessed. After that, I will commence the ritual, and the memories will begin to congregate. This will take some time. I need you at the foot of Mt. Yougou during this part to keep an eye on nearby monster activity. The memories are normally dispersed, and don't pose a threat. But when their energy is concentrated, it is likely to disturb the monsters. They may see this as an opportunity to try and make it up the mountain. I need you to fend them off so that that doesn't happen. 

Paimon: Alright, got it. Then what?

Yae Miko: Hmm... Well, if at that point you felt like coming to the shrine and getting a close-up view of the youkai, I wouldn't say no.