Chapter 42: The First Dance

3rd POV

Aether: [That glint.. Don't tell me... It has returned..?]

After that, Keqing went off on her own to investigate for the cause of the stolen fireworks, reassuring Aether she'll be fine on her own. Before they left, Yap, who managed to overhear some nice, juicy bits of the conversation, goes to Aether and nudges him with his shoulder.

Yap: Worried for her? Or are you simply worried you won't be able to buy a ring to propose to her- (dodges Aether's sword swing at him)

Aether: Shut it.

Yap: (chuckles) Feisty. Still. I'm sure you must've noticed, didn't ya?

Aether: Noticed what? (On guard)

Yap: ..Nothing. (Turns around) Anyway, I'll have to make plans with Chongyun and Xingqiu now. So see ya sometime. Next day, maybe. I dunno. Even if those thieves are all somehow eliminated, I'm sure you'll eventually turn up anyway. Whether at the heat of the battle or otherwise. It's fine if you want to chicken out though. I won't blame ya.

Aether: And why exactly would I chicken out of a fight?

Yap: (shrugs) Who knows why. (Dismisses Aether with his hand) Aaannyyway. I'll be going first. So see ya.

As Yap became more and more distant until he's back there, Aether took the time and peace to think to himself.

Aether: [Yap's acting a little strange after we met the Treasure Hoarder member earlier.. Could it be he has a score to settle between them?]

Paimon: Traveler? What are you thinking about?

Aether: I was... just wondering how Yap seemed a little.. off.

Paimon: Huh? What do you mean by that?

Aether: You didn't notice his change of tone or attitude or anything?

Paimon: ... No?

Aether: ... I guess it can't be helped then. Let's go make dinner and rest. We'll most likely have a long day ahead of us.

Paimon: Okie dokie!

A/N: Hee hee. Dook dook

Allie: (._.)

Timeskip next day

The gang all gathered up to check on each other whether or not there were any issues the night before.

Xingqiu: Rest assured, all is quiet here in Qingce Village. Chongyun is guarding the outside, and I'm guarding the inside while Yap managed to simultaneously did both. Not a problem in sight.

Keqing: Good. I've made some progress in my investigation as well.

Xingqiu: Oh? What are you planning? Is it time to strike?

Yap: I hope so. It does get a little boring but.. the scenery here is nice at least. So it's not a complete waste of time.

Aether: Perfect timing in that case then! Count me in.

Yap: Oh?

Paimon: Let's go!

Keqing: Traveler, Paimon, you are just in time. I looked everywhere and I found some clues regarding the Treasure Hoarders. Besides wagon tracks, I also came across bits and pieces of fireworks packaging scattered on the road. Following those clues, I was able to finally locate the missing fireworks. But there was no sign of Treasure Hoarders.

Aether: Hmm, did they run away?

Keqing: No, I think they might be just overly careless. I seem to have found the location where they've been stashing all their stolen goods. They must have thought it was well-hidden and deemed it unnecessary to post any guards. The amount of fireworks they've amassed there is astonishing. Not only did they steal the ones in Qingce Village but also from other locations, too. They've gathered all the stolen goods there. I've asked the Millelith on guard at Qingce Village to report this to the Ministry of Civil Affairs. They will organize a search around that warehouse.