Chapter 50: Scars Of The Past

3rd POV

Yap: Don't pressure her to do so.

Paimon: We.. we'll try to.

As they continue on, they find marks left by the Sacred Sakura when attacked.

Yap: ... [That is quite the amount of marks. At this point, it's more of a trail instead.]

Continuing all the way to Araumi, they found a few gnawed roots

Ei: We are lucky... the damage is not too serious. The Yashiro Commission will be able to nurse the root system back to health.

Paimon: This stuff that's flowing out, is it sap or something? And how come it's glowing...

Suddenly, a small fog forms and scatters in all directions before coalescing into human forms.

Paimon: ...Huh? Wh—What's this?

Aether: Is someone injured? Looks terrible.

Paimon: Could they be... dead people? It wouldn't be the first time we'd seen ghosts on our journey. But... why would they appear here? 

Ei: Let's search the area. Perhaps we will find out.

They all nodded as they went to where one of the manifestations was clutching his chest in pain.

Kitamura: (groans) I can't go on like this... not when the other troops are counting on me...

Paimon: What happened here? Could you tell us?

Kitamura: Who are you? What are you doing here? Run, quick, while you still can! The monsters will be back... And once you're in their sights, I'm telling you — there's no escaping them! We will defend Inazuma... until our dying breath!

Aether: What exactly happened? What monsters are you talking about?

Kitamura: You... you don't know? Inazuma is engulfed in darkness. Beasts and horrifying monsters are everywhere! They are merciless, ferocious... and they will devour everything in their path... Every last trace of humanity's existence, I tell you... they'll devour it all...

Paimon: But look... none of that seems to be going on around here.

Kitamura: Not right now, but they'll be back... Look — get out of here, now!!! There's no time left! The Almighty Shogun is gone, so is Kitsune Saiguu. There's no one left to rely on but ourselves. I don't know how long we can hold out for, but... if we abandon our hope, then we've got nothing left at all.

Ei: Don't worry. I am right here.

Kitamura: It's... the Shogun!? You're back! Please, we beg you... you have to help us... you have to save Inazuma! Only the glow of your supreme lightning can dispel this terrible darkness... please, or the whole of Inazuma will be reduced to a hunting ground for the beasts!

Ei: Calm down. The war you speak of is over. 

Kitamura: Over? But... what do you mean, Shogun...

Ei: Look around you. The grass grows green and lush and a soft breeze blows. This is Inazuma at peace, as you will no doubt remember. There are no monsters, nor is there anything else here that could threaten your life.

Kitamura: (looks around) Hmm... But... how? Just moments ago, they were everywhere... I saw them tear my comrade to shreds with my own eyes...

Paimon: Hey, calm down! Everything's fine now!

Kitamura: Huh... I think I understand... Almighty Shogun... you saved Inazuma! Yes... we were right to place our trust in the Almighty Shogun. As long as the Shogun is with us, Inazuma will last for an eternity... Thank you, Your Excellency, thank you, thank you... (fades away)