Chapter 1 - Back

Edmund swallowed a lump in his throat and blinked his tears away before taking a few quick steps to catch up with Lucy. Then he, along with his siblings, found themselves back at the train station. In their old clothes but with new experiences to carry with them throughout life.

-~:~-

Another year had gone by for Lucy and Edmund. It had been less painful than last time when they were away because this time, they knew for sure they would return at some point. But less pain doesn't necessarily mean no pain. Especially since they had to stay at their cousin's for the time being. And as it just turned out, the time being just got longer.

"You're lucky," Edmund told Lucy. "At least you've got your own room. I'm stuck with Mullet Mouth."

"Susan and Peter are the lucky ones," Lucy said, standing up and going to a mirror to look at her face. She had lately reached the age of insecurities. "Off on adventures."

"They're the oldest and we're the youngest," Edmund pointed out with a sigh before moving on from the topic. "Wonder how Y/n's doing."

Lucy turned back to him. "Do you think she has a life, somewhere? I mean, after fading away?"

"I don't know," Edmund sighed before standing up from the bed. "But if she did, I think she'd be on a ship like that." He was referring to the painting on the wall.

Lucy smiled. "She'd love it there. It's very Narnian-looking."

"Yeah. But then again, just another reminder we're here and not there," Edmund spoke grimly.

"There once were two orphans who wasted their time believing in Narnian nursery rhymes," Eustace, their cousin, whom they were stuck with, said after appearing out of nowhere.

"Please let me hit him," Edmund grimaced.

"No!" Lucy denied.

"Don't you ever knock?" Edmund asked, backing up a bit.

"It's my house, I'll do as I please," Eustace countered. "You're just guests." The siblings ignored him and turned back to the painting. "What's so fascinating about that picture, anyway? It's hideous. I could understand why it reminds you of your dead friend."

The siblings' heads snapped to look at him for a moment, panicked that you were dead. Then they remembered that this is what was believed in England. "You won't see it from the other side of the door," Edmund spoke as calmly as he could.

"Edmund, it looks like the water's actually moving," Lucy said dreamily, hoping to draw Edmund's attention off the topic that could make him lunge at Eustace at any given second.

"What rubbish," their cousin spat from the bed. "See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairytales of yours."

"There once was a boy called Eustace who read books full of facts that were useless," Edmund said snarkily, making himself and Lucy chuckle.

Eustace seemed taken aback for only a split second before he countered. "People who read fairytales are always the sort to become a hideous burden to people like me who read books of real information."

Edmund turned around, a glare in his eyes. "'Hideous burden'?" he asked, as if wanting to make sure he heard right. "I haven't seen you lift a finger since we've been here."

Whilst the boys continued to argue and threaten each other, water started to come out of the painting in little streams. "Edmund, the painting," Lucy said as soon as she registered what was going on. But as wind blew against her face and ruffled her hair, she realized her brother didn't notice she had said anything and was about to call out again when water splashed into her face, now starting to pool out further.

Lucy's gasp attracted the boys' attention and they, too, saw what was happening now. "What's going on here?" Eustace asked, walking towards the door a bit. He continued to yell for his mother, the Pevensies ignoring him completely. It irritated him and so did the water coming out of the painting. "I'll just smash the rotten thing," he scoffed and ran forward to grab the picture frame.

"No, Eustace, no," his cousins cried out, trying to get him to let go. All together, they managed to drop it to the floor and the room started to fill with water. Water rose at a remarkable speed and currents started drawing them all under and away from air that was still somewhere between the water and the ceiling.

When they finally managed to get to the surface, they were met with the ship from the painting coming right towards them, now life-sized, and an open sky. "Eustace, swim," Lucy called to the frantic boy, doing the same herself.

A moment later, three men jumped from the ship. As soon as Lucy was helped to surface again, she recognized one of the men as Caspian and alerted her brother. "Are we in Narnia?" Edmund asked excitedly, getting a positive answer while Eustace continued fighting against the people who were trying to save him from drowning.

Soon enough, all of them found themselves on board of the ship. "That was thrilling," Lucy spoke with a smile in her voice.

"How in the world did you end up here?" Caspian asked curiously, accepting the blanket offered to him.

"I have no idea," Lucy admitted as they walked on, Caspian's arm draped over her shoulder as a side-hug.

"Caspian," a voice called and the man turned around to go and give the owner of the voice a hug.

"Edmund," he greeted. "It's great to see you."

"Great to see you," Edmund countered, his eyes searching the ship for you. Though he wasn't surprised when he didn't find what he was looking for. After all, you had arrived later than them last time, too.

"Didn't you call for us?" Lucy inquiered.

"No, not this time," Caspian denied.

"Well, whatever the case, I'm just glad to be here," Edmund beamed.

A scream was heard and as the crowd parted, the three could see Eustace wrestling with Reepicheep. The mouse was soon thrown a good few meters towards the Pevensies. "Reepicheep," Lucy greeted.

"Oh, Your Majesties," he bowed, straightening his sword holder before doing so.

"Hello Reep, what a pleasure," Edmund, too, greeted.

"The pleasure is mine," Reepicheep assured before asking about Eustace. The latter started yelling how Reepicheep was trying to claw his face off. The mouse only calmly informed that he was trying to help Eustace by expelling the water from his lungs.

Eustace continued yelling frantically, asking where he was, right after he had gotten over the surprise of Reepicheep talking. A minotaur answered him and he fainted, to no one's surprise.

Caspian gave quiet orders to the minotaur before climbing a few stairs up on a staircase so he could be seen. "Men," he spoke loudly. "Behold our castaways. Edmund the Just and Lucy the Valiant. High King and Queen of Narnia."

The crew kneeled before Lucy told them it's alright to stand up. Then they all went back to work. "Hey, Caspian," Lucy called.

"Yeah?" the man asked, going to stand with Edmund and Lucy. "Is Y/n here yet?" Edmund nodded along.

Caspian frowned a bit. "No. Should we be worried?"

"I don't think so," Edmund shook his head. "I'm pretty sure she came a bit later than us last time, too." Yet, everyone could tell that all three of them hoped you'd show up. The sooner the better.