Chapter 11 - Darkness

"Be strong," Coriakin instructed. "Don't fall to temptation. To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness inside yourself." You swallowed, as if trying to swallow your fear that was starting to swell up in your thoughts again. But this time you knew what you had to do to stop it.

-~:~-

Nothing had been quite the same after you left Coriakin's Island around two weeks ago. It seemed as if all the others were happy about the restock and looking forward to any adventures you might face during the time to come. You wished you could be as enthusiastic as them but for some reason, you couldn't. You were just feeling worse and more dreadful every day about what was to come and when the storm arrived it didn't get any better.

Now, for who knows what day in a row, you were dripping wet and your muscles were sore from hauling water off of the deck. When you had felt somewhat bittersweet towards the others before due to how happy they could be, now you felt sorry for them. At least you could warm yourself and your clothes up every once in a while whereas the others were probably going to catch a bad cold, if not a fever.

Currently, Edmund and Caspian were inside, talking about what to do next. You wanted to stay and help on the deck since you already knew how bad your situation was. It was the absolute last chance to turn back or otherwise you wouldn't last the way back. But if you knew Caspian and Edmund at all, you weren't turning back. Especially with so many people hoping that you'd bring back their loved ones.

Another wave of water rained down on the deck. You stumbled back a few steps from the force of it before shaking your head furiously, trying to get the water out. You didn't have enough energy to warm yourself up at the moment with the chance of a new wave on deck at every minute.

You heard a yelp of falling over beside you. "Head to sleep, Lucy," you commanded, not having to look to know who it was. It's not like you would see her anyway - the rain was too thick.

"But-" she wanted to protest.

"Now! I'll be fine, you know that," you assured.

"Alright," you heard her say uncertainly. "Be careful."

"I will," you answered. Part of you wanted to ignore the fact that you were lying so to make up for that, in a way, you sent a trail of light to follow Lucy and hit her as soon as she closed the door. When it hit her, she felt a warm tingle run up her body and she smiled as she no longer felt cold.

You trudged through the crew towards the stairs, planning to go and check if everything was alright near the wheel. It needed to be done since at least six men needed to hold it at all times to make sure the ship was going where it was supposed to go.

You were half way up the stairs when the Dawn Treader rode all the way up to a wave and then down from there. You felt water surrounding you. You weren't sure if it was the wave, though. It felt more... still. Slowly, darkness came over you and since you could no longer hear anything to keep you up, you gladly gave in to it.