Chapter 26 - Lord Rhoop

You smiled, your fear not seeming as bad anymore. I will, Father. For You, for Narnia and for everybody that was taken.

-~:~-

"No matter what happens here," Caspian started his speech to the crew. It was necessary in order to boost their confidence. "Every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader."

You eyed the mist. It was getting closer and closer and the water under it seemed as dark as the deepest, blackest hole.

"Together we have traveled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again," he encouraged. "So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in."

You were proud of Caspian, despite the fact that he was older than you. Well, technically you were a thousand years older than him but physically- It's complicated. Nevertheless, he had gone from the boy he was - not brave enough to argue with Peter's words or commands, to a man - a king, who was strong and willing to do anything for his people. Even if it meant leading an army or risking lives. He had discovered the ruler within him and put it to good use, day by day, learning from his and others' mistakes and yet, not getting discouraged. It was impressive, honestly.

"Our world," he continued, "our Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

With that, Caspian started to come down the stairs but he wasn't even half-way down when someone cheered. "For Narnia!" That someone wasn't you. But you were the close second. Probably. You couldn't clearly tell because that one shout fired a whole wave of them, all the people aboard taking part of it.

-<>-

It was a good thing there were lanterns on deck, otherwise you would see absolutely nothing. Like nothing, nothing. Zero. That's how dark it was in the mist.

You closed your eyes, refusing to see any of the tricks the mist would definitely play. Instead, you focused on an image of Your Father in your mind, trying to ignore anything that could be going on.

Your Father's image turned greenish and a frown came to His face. "I'm disappointed in you," He spoke lowly, the voice not quite His own.

"Wha- What did I do?" you stuttered, too taken aback to notice the change.

Don't listen to the fake, open your eyes, whispered a voice in the back of your mind - the only part of your mind that hadn't been put under the spell.

Your eyes snapped open and the mist-lion faded away. "Just a trick, then," you muttered to yourself, trying to brush off the bad feeling the fake had given you.

Looking around, the rest of the crew seemed to be stuck in their heads too, struggling with their fears. On your left, there was Edmund, talking to someone in a low voice just like you had done a minute ago.

"No!" he exclaimed louder. You jumped at the tone. It sounded so broken and desperate.

"Edmund, are you alright?" Lucy asked from your right. You jumped again, this time scrambling further towards the railing with shock and somewhat fear.

What's got me so jumpy? you wondered to yourself but looked at Edmund, also waiting for his answer along with his sister.

"Yeah," he said shakily.

No one got the chance to say anything because a howl sounded through the darkness. It didn't sound feral enough to be an animal's, besides, you doubted any would be here. On the other hand, no sane human would make that sound - it was so terrified and hurt that it made your skin crawl.

Naturally, everyone's heads turned alertedly towards the sound, looking for a possible threat. It sounded again and the Dawn Treader kept moving onward, away from the lighted passage out of the darkness.

And again. This time, it seemed to have words. "Keep away?" you muttered under your breath. The phrase repeated.

You scoffed with both annoyance and confusion before charging light in your palms and forming a huge ball of light to float above your head, enough to shower warm light on the sea and deck. Of course, it didn't light everything. But it did cover quite enough.

"Who's there?" Edmund asked, trying to see into the darkness beyond the ring of light.

"We do not fear you!" Caspian added.

"Nor I you!" came the answer.

You moved the light forward, trying to shine it on the person you were conversing with. Then you saw him. Crazed and exhausted, he kept yelling at you to keep away.

"We will not leave," Caspian said firmly.

"You will not defeat me!" the man exclaimed, holding up a shining sword.

"Caspian," Edmund realized, the same time as you. "Caspian, his sword."

Realization dawned on the king's face and he came down the stairs. "Lord Rhoop."

"You do not own me!" the man yelled, trying to move away from the light but you made it follow.

"Stand down!" Caspian commanded, making the men lower their weapons. "Let's get him on board, quickly."

"On it," you answered and three hands stretched from the ball of light. The lord yelled as they approached him but seemed to calm at the warm, reassuring touch of your magic. As his body relaxed, you could use the third hand that wasn't carrying lord Rhoop to take the sword.

"You're alright," you said softly as you lifted him towards the deck. "We're Narnians. Here to save, not hurt you." He seemed calm so you continued. "I'm Y/n. Those are Edmund and Lucy," you gestured to the siblings respectively. "Our names might tell you nothing but this is Caspian," his feet were almost touching the deck. "He's your King."

"Caspian?" the lord muttered as his eyes widened and you finally lowered him to the ground, taking his sword for yourself before letting the ball of light disappear - it was getting a bit draining to keep it out.

Then the lord recognized the man who just happened to look so much like his father and clung onto his shoulders fearfully. "You should not have come! There's no way out of here!" he spoke frantically. "Turn this ship about before it's too late!"

"We have the sword, let's go," Edmund encouraged.

"Let's turn her about, Drinian," Caspian commanded firmly, the captain instantly doing what was asked of him.

"Do not think!" the lord warned. "Do not let it know your fears or it will become them."

"Edmund," you warned, a second too late.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he apologized before rushing off to the railing.