22

Avayla and Theo spent every waking hour talking about how they wanted to handle their situation. Sometimes Maria would be included when she had questions, but they tried to keep most of their fears and worries to themselves.

They weren't sure they could handle scaring their daughter and adding to the stress the were all feeling, even though they knew she was well aware of what had happened.

Thankfully Maria was also wise enough to accept her temporary role as Kendra's babysitter.

Although that was never a full time job anyway since Kendra was still so dependent on her mother.

It was late in the evening on their third night there and Avayla was sitting in a large rocking chair when Maria brought a fussy Kendra over.

Come here, Sweetheart. Avayla said softly, also cooing and shushing her youngest. Mama is here. She tugged her loose, flowing shirt aside to give Kendra access to her breast, then leaned back to settle in for however long it took the tiny girl to nurse.

Can I get you anything? Theo asked, his head poking around the corner by the kitchen.

Avayla shook her head and took Maria's hand. I'm alright for right now.

Alright. Maria, come help me?

Their daughter perked up and hurried to her father. A bright squeal came from the other room a minute later quickly followed by Maria running back into the sitting room. She was beaming and clutching a bowl close to her chest.

What have you got there? The alpha asked, even though she knew already.

Daddy got ice cream!! Maria bounced in place, then giggled after taking a large bite.

Theo crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, a bright and loving smile curling his lips. His eyes flicked to his alpha and they shared an unspoken feeling of happiness and satisfaction. If they could keep their daughter happy, then they would take the small moments of peace.

The other alphas hadn't come back to visit them after the first day there. During that time, Avayla and Theo had taken turns surveying the immediate area around their home and attempted to stake some kind of temporary territory by marking trees with their scents.

They weren't sure if it was working or if the pack was just giving them space, but they were grateful for the chance to be with each other and think a little.

Time had also allowed them to explore the home they had been given. It really was set up to be fully functional and ready for their family.

Aside from the nursery, Maria had her own room filled with books and crafts and toys none of them had ever seen before. Avayla and Theo had a large master bedroom, complete with a gigantic bed, beautiful handmade furniture, and an attached bathroom that had both a shower and a generous bathtub.

Avayla couldn't help but admit that she was impressed. The house was lavish and... beautiful. It would be the perfect place to raise a family.

Their kitchen had also been fully stocked. The cupboards were full of dishes, utensils, pots and pans, and multiple gadgets, while their fridge and pantry contained a wide variety of food just waiting for them.

At first the couple had been hesitant to eat anything, however the second Maria's stomach growled they pulled out almost everything and sniffed it furiously for anything that smelled off.

They found nothing and had happily enjoyed several large meals together.

It was a strained, odd sense of peace they felt. Despite everything they'd been through, there was nothing threatening about this home or the immediate surroundings. If they let themselves relax enough to not think about things too deeply, neither Avayla or Theo could say this didn't feel like a normal life.