40

The cruel winter continued to be a challenge for the pack as they struggled to pick their way through the mountains. Deep snow tried to swallow them whole more than once, and avalanches threatened to happen one or two more times.

It was hard to keep track of where they were going, especially with the high winds causing white out conditions.

But they never gave up.

Their hope kept a fire lit within them that helped to push them onward.

Even the kids never complained about growing tired or wanting to rest.

They knew the risks, and the rewards that greatly outweighed them.

For three days they pushed on.

Three days of cold and wind and wet.

Three days of aching muscles and matted fur and heavy limbs.

Three days of following the simple directions of a blind man, with the hopes of finding the pack members they missed with every fiber of their being.

.

.

.

.

Finding Mingi was the last thing Hongjoong had ever expected.

And it changed everything.

There was no way he was going to leave his friend while Mingi was still so weak. They weren't even sure if he could shift... Not with how thin he was...

Angelo, as they'd learned the beta's name was whose home they'd been in, had agreed to keep him hidden and get him some food. And Theo was going to stay with him as well since he wasn't being watched like Hongjoong and San were.

So unfortunately they'd had to say goodbye for the evening.

It killed Hongjoong to leave Mingi like that... His wolf begged him to rebel and stay put, but even Eunkwang said it was for the best.

And he trusted Eunkwang. The alpha had been so gracious toward them, so kind and understanding.

Although now he was having a hard time containing his rage.

Minhyuk managed to keep him calm until they made it home, but as soon as they were inside, the alpha stormed over to the couch, picked up a pillow, and ripped it in half.

"Now was that really necessary?" Minhyuk narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. His disapproval went unnoticed, however, as Eunkwang made it his mission to tear the fabric to shreds.

"How could she do this? She is supposed to be the one we trust the most? How could she think this is ok??" The alpha snarled, hands shaking violently.

Hongjoong felt his own wolf rise up, ready to defend himself if needed because of how hostile Eunkwang was at the moment.

"So what are we going to do about it?" He asked, shifting to stand slightly in front of San.

The rest of Eunkwang and Minhyuk's mini pack slowly shuffled out of other rooms, and Sungjae moved toward the front. It was obvious he wanted to comfort the alpha, but he looked nervous at the same time.

"I don't know."

"Take a deep breath, Love." Minhyuk said gently. He moved next to Sungjae and held out his hands. "We have been suspicious of her for a long time."

"I want to rip-"

"Eunkwang, please, this isn't helping anything." Peniel said, bristling a little bit as if preparing to step in.