43

So many things happened at once that San had a hard time comprehending it all. Handong and Bora both started running deeper into the pack without turning around to explain what was going on.

The only thing he could think of was that something had happened to one of the other Elite.

Which didn't bode well for the rest of them.

"Minhyuk-" Hongjoong started to say, but the beta just shook his head and started running again.

Just ahead of them, Eunkwang was in front of their home cupping his hands to his mouth. "Everyone! Please! I need you to gather and listen to what I have to say!"

San and Hongjoong exchanged a surprised glance, then pushed themselves to run faster.

Most of the field workers had done as he asked, forming a large cluster of people that were all trying to talk over one another.

When they got closer, Hyunsik and Changsub helped guide them to the front so they could all huddle behind their alpha.

The only one missing was Sungjae.

"Please! Please listen to me!" Eunkwang raised his voice, trying to bring order to the growing crowd. As the ruckus quieted down, he looked back at his mini pack with a grim smile.

It was rare that Eunkwang was this serious. Usually he still had a smile or a playful twinkle in his eye that was hard to snuff out. But now... there was nothing but fear spiraling in them.

"I know this is sudden." He turned back to the crowd, raising his voice and using a more urgent and demanding tone, which worked because everyone's gaze was fixed solely on him. "But I need you to listen to what I have to say with an open mind and an open heart, because I'm asking for your help."

Murmurs erupted again. The alpha let them go on for a few seconds before he raised his hands once more. "Please, we are running out of time! I fear a civil war is coming!"

Now the outrage began. Several of the male alphas started to push their way to the front, preparing to take on Eunkwang if needed, to which Peniel stepped forward and squared his shoulders. "SHUT IT! Let him speak!"

Eunkwang gave his friend a sad but grateful smile. Things were so tense right now, and there was no easy way to break this kind of news.

That knowledge made Hongjoong bow his head a little. He knew how the other alpha was feeling to an extent, but he couldn't image how hard this was for his fellow alpha. Having to break this kind of news to a pack he obviously loved so much had to be the most challenging thing he'd ever had to do.

"I know this comes as a shock, but Nova isn't who we thought she was. My friends here," he motioned back to Hongjoong and San, "Were taken prisoner by her, along with several other members of their pack. I know you've seen them working the fields with Minhyuk and Peniel, and that there have been questions that couldn't be answered, but I'm answering them now. We don't keep prisoners here, yet suddenly Nova is doing it. And now the female alphas are getting pregnant, which is also making them sick. Hyunsik and Changsub can account for that, along with Sungjae when he gets here.

"We discovered that she was using one of Hongjoong's pack mates, who we believe may be a Pure Alpha, to impregnate the female alphas who desire children. Her methods were... dishonorable to put it lightly. Now he is being protected by a few others, but Nova is after him again and mobilizing some of her alphas to help."

"So what does this mean for us?" One of the workers asked, earning nods from others around him.

Eunkwang glanced down at his feet for a moment, then looked out at the crowd in front of him with a gaze fitting for a true leader. Serious, stone cold, and determined. "I'm asking you to fight with me."