61

"You want to what??" Hongjoong asked, unable to contain the growl in his voice.

He had to have heard wrong, because truly he didn't know how he could handle one more-

"We want to adopt a little boy from Eunkwang's pack." Jongho said again, a little slower that time as he took note of his alpha's reaction.

Hongjoong blinked a couple of times, then slowly sat down in his office chair. His head started to move side to side slowly as if on its own accord. "I... what?"

Next to him, his mate sighed. "Joong, it's really not that complicated."

The alpha gave his beta a side-eyed glare then focused back on the couple in front of him.

Yunho and Jongho were standing side by side, holding hands and watching him with desperate looks in their eyes.

Mere minutes ago, his pack mates had approached him while he was in the process of going through their finances and told him what they had learned about Jaeyul and what they had noticed about Chan's behavior with the young alpha.

The hope and desperation coming from both of them was clear in the way they both seemed to tremble where they stood.

"I just..." Hongjoong closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "We have five new pups... five! And we are already stretched thin as it is until we can get our crops to grow! I don't know how..." He stopped when he saw Yunho's shoulders slump.

Great... he'd really put his foot in his mouth this time...

"That's not what I-"

"It's alright." Jongho said softly. "We unders-"

Yeosang slammed his head down on the desk and stood up. "No. Don't just settle." He rounded on Hongjoong and crossed his arms. "You listen here, Mister." He said, making Hongjoong flinch. "You would not be reacting this way if they were coming here to tell you they are pregnant, so why is this any different?"

"Because money is-"

"AND," Yeosang barreled right over him without hesitation, "those five pups, as wonderful as they are, are not technically our responsibility."

Hongjoong opened his mouth to say something, then snapped it shut again.

His mate had a point... Stephan and Serena still wanted to keep their little family with the twin separate. And Riley and Jade's son lived with them...

The alpha closed his eyes and sighed. "I'm sorry. Sangie is right," He opened his eyes to look at his beta and smiled softly, "as he always is." Then he turned to his friends and felt himself shrink in shame. "I'm sorry, I've just been so stressed. I know that's not really an excuse, but-"

Yunho and Jongho exchanged a look but remained silent. It was easy to see, and feel, how many mixed emotions were swirling around them.

"Have you talked to Eunkwang about it?"

The couple perked up a little and Jongho shook his head. "No, we wanted to come to you first. Especially since it involves Chan."

"We didn't want to do anything to get his hopes up." Yunho added. "Just in case..." His words eluded to his own hope that Hongjoong knew he couldn't destroy now.

The corner of his lips curled in a smile. "Well, I suppose we will have to talk to him during our next visit."

Both Yunho and Jongho cried out with joy and surprise before running over to embrace the older in a tear filled hug.

Yeosang had to scramble out of the way so he didn't get run over, but he stood to the side and watched them fondly when Hongjoong grunted from being squished between them.