44

It didn't take long for panic to spread.

The cry for help from Eunkwang and Hongjoong traveled quickly from their side of the pack.

While fear started on the other side in the form of screams.

Those who could started to warn others before running away from where it had all started.

Female alphas had started rounding everyone up... and with a pack this large, Eunkwang was having a hard time contacting someone to give him updates, mostly about Sungjae, who hadn't been heard from for several hours now.

"Joong..." San tugged on his arm, pulling the alpha's attention away from the growing crowd in front of them. "Joong, should we go check on Avayla? I know Mingi would be too dangerous, but-"

"They are coming!!" Someone screeched, cutting him off.

Looking up the hill, a large wave of people and wolves were running down it as fast s they possibly could. Several ended up tripping and either falling or pushing someone else and causing them to fall instead.

Only to be trembled by the rest of the pack.

"Shit..." Peniel breathed. "What should we do?"

Eunkwang stared in shock, then shook his head as if to reset. "Take everyone to the clearings, try to get organized. Assign a few to take those who can't fight deeper into the mountains. Those who want to fight can follow me."

His friends nodded in understanding before Changsub, Hyunsik, and Peniel ran off to follow his orders, while Minhyuk stayed by his side. The couple exchanged a sad but understanding look while intertwining their fingers in a gentle touch that could still move mountains.

"What do you want us to do?" Hongjoong asked. He could feel his hair standing on end, matching his escalating nerves.

The older alpha turned to him and clasped his shoulder. "Save your family."

Hongjoong hesitated, knowing full well the alpha had just given him permission to do whatever he deemed necessary. There was so much he wanted to say... to thank him for... But Eunkwang simply squeezed, then turned and left with his mate.

No other words needed to be said as Hongjoong bolted in the opposite direction, San close on his heels.

Where to first? The younger asked through their link so they didn't have to waste breath on talking.

Mingi... She's after him. We need to protect him.

Got it.

Hongjoong sent gratitude to his friend before darting down a side street that didn't have as many people running down it. As much as he knew shifting would make getting there faster, something in his gut told him to stay human so he could communicate with others.

As they drew closer to where all the betas liked to stay, his fear started to sky rocket. It was easy to see that this was the first place attacked... A few of the cabins had their door thrown open or even torn off the hinges.

Someone screamed in front of them.

Both alphas ran faster, then slid to a stop, sending a spray of dirt in front of them.

They had reached the main circle of cabins...

Angelo and a few others were already in their wolf forms, trying to hold off the five alphas closing in on them. A sixth was still human and currently dragging Annabelle back with her.

San snarled at the sight and shifted where he stood, clothes shredding and fluttering to the ground where he once stood.

I'll stay human for now. Hongjoong told him.