Ch. 37 - Long Night, By Moonlight

I shook my head in disbelief and turned away, aiming to head off after Annie again, but the surprised cries of scouts all around me had me stilling. I felt a great rush of excitement rise up in my chest as, when I looked back at Eren, I saw that the idiot was dashing towards her, screaming like a madman, with only two fully functioning limbs. My mouth hung open in shock as I took in the sight, and as soon as I realized what it was I was looking at, I grinned. 

Goddesses, grin wasn't enough; I downright beamed. Win or lose, he was giving us a show. He was giving his all to this. That was becoming increasingly more clear.

"You idiot," I said through jubilant laughter. "Go! Get her ass!"

"That's..." Hange began, but cut their words off right away, and I knew in that moment that what I was seeing was truly something incredible, because it took a lot to render that one speechless. Never in Hange's wildest dreams would they have imagined something like this, I was sure - and their dreams were certainly fantastical to degrees I hadn't ever reached myself.

Just at that moment, Mikasa landed on the roof between us, nearly scaring the shit out of me, but I kept my composure... mostly. "Eren," Mikasa gasped, before starting to go after him.

"Don't," Hange said quickly. "Right now, we don't know if Eren can recognize you."

So, I wasn't the only one to realize he was steadily losing control. It was clear, really. It was how ruthless he was being that confirmed it, to be frank. He wasn't relying on us for help, he was taking it into his own hands, but without mercy, without sparing any expense. It wasn't that I thought Annie deserved any mercy, of course she didn't. But we didn't need her dead, we needed her in our control, if at all possible. This was a war of information, of which Annie clearly had more than we did. But at this rate...

Well, when Eren began squeezing Annie's head, and she began screaming, it seemed like a sure thing that he would kill her. And if, under different circumstances, I had heard someone else screaming like she was right now, I'd be obliged to step in and help, but not now. Not her.

I wanted to glance at Hange, to see if we shouldn't step in, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from what was happening before us. Annie soon got her bearings and elbowed Eren, forcing him to release her. She wasted no time in escaping, and so she took off again, this time towards the wall - which could be trouble, should she be able to climb it. With how confidently and quickly she was dashing towards it, I had a feeling she knew exactly how to climb it, and was prepared to.

"The wall," Jean, the tawny-haired recruit cried out.

"Does she intend to climb over it?" Hange asked, only for the question to be answered immediately. Annie started to climb, tearing chunks of the wall out with each stride.

"That's not supposed to happen," I said, watching as Eren reached up and grabbed her lower half. I put my blades away, sheathing them entirely and gripping my controllers tight, preparing for a flight - and a fast one. I had to get there.

"No," Armin cried, "she's going to get away!"

I noticed, then, that we were missing someone. "That damn girl," I muttered, looking for her. "Mikasa!"

When did she slip away? I guess it didn't matter much, because I could now see her flying towards the Female Titan, swinging upwards before slicing through her fingers. I was halfway to them by the time Annie started to fall from the wall, and I was closing in on them when Eren began laying into her again. I was just unsheathing one blade when Eren ripped open the nape, revealing the girl inside.

But I faltered, as everything went still, all in that moment and all at once. I perched against the closest building, watching for one moment, and then another. "What the hell...?"