Ch. 85 - Vacationing as the World Does

I knew my esteemed guest was here before he could even knock on the door. In fact, I could practically hear him coming up the way from the interior itself - but despite the racket he was making, I was excited. The only complaint I had, I suppose, was the concern that immediately engulfed my entire being because why was he making such a clatter?

I opened the door, only to see a very rowdy horse and a very confused Mason. Both beings were incredibly upset, that was clear, and it was obvious to me what was happening: his horse had been spooked by something, and Mason was doing all that he could do to calm her. Just as I stepped outside, the horse snorted and reared back, and I called for Mason to step back, to offer her some space.

Horses were flighty creatures, that was for sure. In my time with the scouts, I'd of course only had my steed, my dutiful boy Strider. I'd worked the stables, worked the horses, learned how to deal with them and knew right away that this was a situation I needed to diffuse, and quickly - yet calmly.

"Amaya," Mason said worriedly. "I don't... Uh... I think I need some..."

"Help? I can see that. Stay calm," I said, more to Mason than to the horse. I locked eyes with him, and knew within that moment that he had no idea how to help himself, nor his horse. "It'll be alright," I reassured him. "Loosen your hold on the reins, just a bit."

"Erm, that seems like the opposite of what I should do," he said, uncertainty clear in his voice.

"Just trust me," I said, approaching them slowly. The horse pawed the dirt anxiously, clearly eyeing something far over her head - chancing a glance over my shoulder, I caught sight of a large hawk perched on a tree branch. "Hold them in one hand, take away some of the control she's got."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure," I said, stopping just shy of reaching the mare in case she decided to buck or charge. "Can you circle her gently? See if you can't get her to stop focusing on what's scaring her."

"Uh, yeah," Mason said, doing as told, his movements unsure and unpracticed. Still, the horse seemed well-trained despite her scare, and circled around herself slowly, though she still seemed flighty, just a bit. "I think it's the bird," Mason provided, looking up at it - having to crane his neck this way and that as the horse continued to turn.

"Alright, ease up," I told him, and he did as told. "And that's no bird, that's a damn hawk."

There was no way for me to really expect him to understand the distinction between the two, but he seemed to take my word for it. "Well, whatever it is, it swooped down to attack me," he said. "I think it wanted my hat!"

Despite myself, and despite the situation, I couldn't help but laugh. Even though he was obviously still distressed, he still had his humor about him - and that, I could appreciate. Hell, it wasn't like I was any different - all of us that were raised in that city had to find ways to cope with the grim reality of our situations, and humor dark and dry and sometimes distasteful or misplaced seemed to be a common one.

"She's just a dainty lady of the court," I cooed, taking slow, measured steps towards the mare. She seemed somewhat hesitant, but reached out to nose my hand when I extended my palm towards her. "Isn't that right? You're too dignified for this country life, right sweetheart?" I redirected my focus to Mason, on his eyes, the pair paying careful attention to me. "You certainly made quite an entrance, Mason."

"Yes, well, I'm a performer at heart, you know that," he said cheekily. "Is she... Is she alright?"

"She'll be just fine," I told him, patting her neck. "Go ahead and dismount, I'll take her around back for you." Mason chanced a glance towards the house, then back to me.