Ch. 82 - Railway Reunion

The physical beauty of the day that Mason died was almost physically sickeningly taunting as I was pulled back and away from him as he died, and I was blinded by it when I was brought outside and away from him.

The waves carried that same beautiful breeze I was used to. The sounds of the waves crashing on the rocks and sand were something akin to music, if I could find it in myself to listen.

Birdsong and the voices of those in the portside town mingled into an unfollowable melody. The sunlight danced on the water in a pretty way, and I watched as seabirds dipped close to the water, some landing to bob on the waves while others dove for fish.

I had no idea how I even reacted in the moment, honestly. I might have been silent. I might have been so wrecked with grief that I could do nothing but watch on. But more than likely, I was probably pried away by the doctors as I wailed and screamed and kicked to get to him, to reach him, to pull him back from death's clutches.

But it seemed death had a tight hold on him. I was powerless.

I stood there, still as a statue, for that entire day, or maybe longer, in that spot I'd been escorted to - so I'd be out of the way, I supposed.

I watched the sun rise and the sun set. Then it was followed by the moon. His journal was in my hand, but I couldn't bring myself to open and read it.

At some point, Hange came up next to me, begging me to eat something. I did, and I listened to her talk about recent progress with Azumabito. The details for our future plans were to be finalized soon, and information would be sent our way once they were, and no later than that. It was obvious that she was excited, and she had every reason to be.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was or not. I just felt numb.

But that night, after the meal, I bid Hange a goodnight, then set off to the stables. She rushed after me, begging me to take the night to rest, but I refused. She made me promise to get home safely and send her a letter once I was. I promised.

Then I tacked my horse, prepared him for the long ride back home, and set off into the night.

Year 853:

Another summer, another fall, another winter, and now back to late spring. We'd all grown one year older, another class of cadets was welcomed to the Survey Corps, and work with the volunteers over on the coast was going swimmingly.

Emi was two now, and by the end of fall would be turning three. Where this past year had gone was beyond me, but the days were simply flying by. There were slow days, sure, but looking back now, I just couldn't comprehend where the time had gone.

Today was Sunday, our lone day during the week we had to ourselves at home. We'd gone to the market this morning, did the cleaning, took a nap as a family, and now were outside because the heat of the day had come and gone.

Emi was hard at work running through the yard, either chasing after something or perhaps running away... I couldn't tell. All I could really tell was that she was having fun. I was tending to our garden, while Levi was doing some light repair work on the horse pasture's fence.

A recent storm had downed a tree, and it'd landed on the fence. That portion had been completely destroyed, and Levi was busy fixing it so that the horses could head back in. They'd gotten exercise with our ride to Trost today, but they really enjoyed their grazing time in the pasture, so for now, they were hitched to a tree towards the back of our property until Levi finished.

I looked up and watched Emi for a moment as I sat back on my heels, wiping the sweat from my forehead. The sounds of Levi hammering away echoed against the house, and from here I could see that he was almost done. He only had a few more planks to secure, and then the horses could be led in.