Ch. 39 - Of Battles Hard-Fought

He wasn't sure why he thought it now, but he did. As Levi sat uselessly and anxiously (though not daring even an inkling of the true extent of his concern to make itself known in his body language nor in his face, of course), he could do little more than think. It was, realistically, all that he could do. 

In this sorry state, he could not fight, and there was only so much listening he could do to the endless mumblings of Erwin and the constant prattle of the refugees just outside and the incessant demands of the Military Policemen as they did what they could to keep the said refugees under control. 

So, with no other options... he thought, allowing himself to get lost in his own musings, his own recollections, and the depths of his mind. There were many places within his mind that he dared not go, but today... he delved into familiar territory, of things that happened not long ago yet seemed like a lifetime away by now.

His mind brought him back to a time he found rather boring and more than a bit dull, where days had been filled with pretty trivial things. Only precious days ago, not even a week, they were in that abandoned base, working hard to maintain their training and at the same time, preparing for the 57th Expedition. The Special Operations Squad had no idea of knowing how badly it would go, no one could.

Their subordinates couldn't, Eren couldn't, and Amaya couldn't, just as he could not even hope to anticipate how badly things could possibly have gone. Hell, even Erwin couldn't.

So now, while no one was around to bother him, he allowed himself to think back on the lazy afternoons in the market, the cool evenings spent in the shade where the others would chat and the mornings where they would train until the morning fog and dew gradually burned away, and would not stop until the dusk's chill settled into their bones as easily as it settled into the grasses of their training grounds.

It was quiet, yes, which he appreciated, but at the same time, mind-numbingly boring at times. At the very least, the others seemed to enjoy it, and he didn't mind the raucous laughter and mindless chatter if it was them.

Hell, even Amaya's easy, relaxed smile had been a much more common occurrence than it had been in previous weeks, and in previous years. She always would smile when she looked at him, but in the quiet of the abandoned base, she seemed to let herself go a little bit more, and his eyes would always look to that smile of hers, pretty even when not aimed his way, and to her eyes, alluring even when focused on something else.

He thought back to one of their afternoons spent in the markets. Amaya had thought it would be a good idea for their subordinates to all make something from their hometown, local classics from where they grew up that might allow the others a chance to take a peek into each other's lives. Though he and Amaya had very little pride in where they came from, the idea had sparked plenty of enthusiasm from their scouts, and even Eren had joined in on the fun. He could only imagine that they looked incredibly strange in the markets, a group of soldiers strolling around, excitedly picking out ingredients.

He and Amaya had been in the back of the group, and she had stepped close to him to loop her arm through his after a while, and only when it became abundantly clear that their subordinates were far too lost within their own conversation to worry about what they were doing - unless they needed one or both of them to settle a dispute between them, of course. 

His aloof nature, as always, manifested itself upon her actions, and specifically, he'd rolled his eyes... but he allowed her to do it, and so they walked together.

Trouble seemed to find them quickly, though. With how busy the markets were, it wasn't strange to be walking within a rather dense stream of people. Their group moved as the crowd did, with groups and couples and even single shoppers to all sides and of course, the line of marketplace stalls bordering each side of the road. So, when a group of men filed in behind them, Levi had thought nothing of it. No one had, not until one of them called out to them - or more specifically, Amaya.