Ch. 59 - Music of the Golden Morning

The four of us headed rather casually to the corridor reserved for the commanding officers, though I'm sure our forced sense of casualness made us seem anything but calm, cool, and collected - well, except me, of course. I was our esteemed actress, as Farlan called me.

"I'll go with Isa," I proposed, knowing that of anyone, she was the most likely to... well, I won't say fuck up, but... Alright, yeah. She was the most likely of us to slip, to let something blurt out of her, or to do something that would give our intentions away. So, if she was with me, I could handle everything and hopefully keep things from going south.

"Yay," Isabel cheered right away, none the wiser as to why I chose to go with her. Still, she was adorable, and I couldn't help but smile. Levi caught my eye then, sending me a knowing look which I returned with a wink. 

"Farlan," I then said, "take the other end of the hall."

"Got it," he said. "Be quick and quiet about this. Did I mention quiet? I mean it, and I mean it for you, Isabel."

"Yeah, yeah," she responded, and I knew right away that she hadn't given his words a single care in the world. "I got it."

So... No. She didn't get it. She definitely doesn't... got it.

"Alright," Farlan said, giving it up for now and resoundingly leaving it in my hands to take care of her. "So, Levi?"

"I'll be right here," he sighed, leaning against the wall with crossed arms. The hall was thankfully deserted of all other soldiers, for now, but there was no guarantee it'd stay that way. We went quickly down the hall and into the first room. We searched each bag we saw, peeking and rummaging through them, looking and listening for telltale fluttering sounds of paper.

The third bag I went through seemed to be full of nothing but cloaks until I heard the slight flutter of paper crinkling. At the sound I perked up, glancing over my shoulder quickly towards the door before reaching in further. One of my fingers brushed against paper and I chased it before I lost it. I drew it out quickly, unfolding it.

Noticing my movements, Isabel looked over from what she was doing. "Did you find it?"

"No," I said, sighing when I unfolded it and saw that it was only a copy of the long-range scouting formation. "But I think this may be Erwin's. Keep searching in case I'm wrong."

"Okay!"

A few more tense minutes passed but before long we had searched each bag in this room. "Nothing," I muttered. "Absolutely jack shit."

"Are you alright, Amaya?" Isabel asked, standing up after searching the last bag. I stood as well, running a hand through my hair, as though it would forcefully remove the frustration from my body.

"Yeah," I said. "I'm fine. Just frustrated. This can all go so wrong, so fast... And if it does, I don't want to lose you guys."

"We'll be alright," she said confidently. "We've got you on our side." Her words brought a smile to my face and I opened my arms wide. She ran to me, tackling me in a quick hug. "Not only you, but we've got Levi-bro, too! Together, you two are unstoppable!"

"We'll protect you," I promised with a smile. "I won't let a bushy-browed bastard tear our family apart."

"That's right," she beamed as she pulled away. "He can try, but he's never getting past you and Levi! And even if he does, he'll have to go through me, too!"

"What about Farlan?"

Her nose wrinkled in mock disgust. "Don't make me laugh. I'm much stronger than he is."